Respected Contributor

Amazon's New Announcement...

[ Edited ]

Many retailers are going to be finding it harder and harder to maintain their customers with Amazon's newest announcement.  Their clothing policy will be..."try before you buy wardrobe."  You simply order what you want to try on...keep what you want/and or return what you don't want in their self-sealing box.  You won't be charged for anything until you decide what you want to keep.    What are your thoughts on this?

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Honored Contributor

Re: Amazon's New Announcement...

@ciao_bella wrote:

Many retailers are going to be finding it harder and harder to maintain their customers with Amazon's newest announcement.  Their clothing policy will be..."try before you buy wardrobe."  You simply order what you want to try on...keep what you want/and or return what you don't want in their self-sealing box.  You won't be charged for anything until you decide what you want to keep.    

I see this as a problem with a lot of used stuff being sent back to Amazon, then shipped out to the next victim, er... I mean customer.

Honored Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:    

I see this as a problem with a lot of used stuff being sent back to Amazon, then shipped out to the next victim, er... I mean customer.

Then you get the letter that you've been banned from shopping with them!

Honored Contributor

I had not seen this new announcemnt!

However I did see a thread here as well as several articles lately about Amazon closing accounts due to too many returns.  This new "Try before you Buy" will only encourage more returns which is a good thing for customers but not if Amazon shuts your account!

Off to go check it out....

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@faeriemoon wrote:    

@CelticCrafter . Exactly! 

It's hard enough to buy clothing here but at least we have presentations and detailed sizing charts.  I rarely buy clothing from Amazon  because they only offer a few photos and very general size charts.

Honored Contributor

This concept has been around for awhile but with specialty stores; I've seen "unboxing" and "tryons" via YouTube and overall, the concept works very well. Customers are pleased and as long as everyone follows the rules, it works.

Notice that set of words: EVERYONE FOLLOWS THE RULES.

You know, you JUST know, that there will be those who won't and it will ruin it for everyone else. 

Beyond that, the few that i've seen, the quality has been good and there is a quick turn around time for the return of what you don't want. Meaning, you don't have 30 days; it's more like 3 (postmark within 72 hours). Again, I've seen videos for clothing as well as accessories.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is interesting. I dont order a lot of clothes on line because I dont want to deal with returning.  If people are just trying on and returning, that is not a bad thing. I liken it to trying them on at the store. If they are really wearing the clothes and then returning them stinky, that will be the problem if that is how the next person will get them.  I cant imagine they will not have a problem with dressier dresses.  Women now buy them, wear them to their events and then return them to the store.  

I dont think this should affect the returning policy if that is what they are offering. If it does, well then that is silly of them.  Time will tell.  

I am getting back into going to brick n mortar stores for most everything that I can as long as they are around. I dont always appreciate the service in them but it gets me walking around more.

Honored Contributor

I'm not a big fan of Amazon anyway, so I won't be interested in this. 

I never buy clothing online, unless it is something I already own and know the fit, then want more.

I, like a few others here, can see the pitfalls in this. And the costs of it will be passed on in the price of the clothing. They aren't going to eat all that shipping and what comes from the abuse of the offer. The customer will.

I'll pass.

Valued Contributor

Not interested 

Respected Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@faeriemoon wrote:    

Exactly.  How can they implement this when they are cracking down on people returning too many items?