Honored Contributor

Re: Amazon Workers Protest Conditions!

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3 wrote:

The idea that so many people would rather sit at home than work is one of those political talking points that resonate with some -- even though it has no basis in fact.

Reasonable concern that they would be exposed to Covid is a major reason people with multiple risk factors would not want to return to work at the moment. Particularly if they do not trust their employer to provide a safe work environment. It is up to the employer to earn that trust through their actions.

Staying away from unsafe conditions is extremely sensible. The employer will not take care of the worker if they get sick on the job. So the employer has no right to demand anyone put themselves at risk of getting sick. It's basic self reliance to avoid unnecessary dangerous situations.

It's personal choice and freedom to decide where to work and under what conditions. If the employer doesn't like it, they should work on creating an acceptable environment that attracts both workers and customers. If a workplace is dangerous for employees, it is also dangerous for any customers.

Labeling workers lazy is offensive. Anyone attempting to shame others for protecting themselves should be ashamed.

Edited to add: A leader should be able to do what their workers do. If Bezos wouldn't be willing to spend a month working at his warehouse filling trucks with boxes 12-16 hours a day, under Covid, he's not a leader.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Valued Contributor

@Porcelain good point.  The financial analysts are saying the economy won't return as we knew it until at least 2024.  That's a scary thought.  It will be a daunting task getting everyone inoculated when we do have a safe and effective vaccine and then there will be many millions of people who will refuse it.  People will have to continue to social distance and wear a mask for many years until herd immunity occurs.  Then there's the real possibility that yearly vaccinations will be needed to continue protecting people as well as more than one shot.  Scientists have already said that 1 single dose will not be sufficient.  

Honored Contributor

@germanshepherdlove wrote:

@Porcelain good point.  The financial analysts are saying the economy won't return as we knew it until at least 2024.  That's a scary thought.  It will be a daunting task getting everyone inoculated when we do have a safe and effective vaccine and then there will be many millions of people who will refuse it.  People will have to continue to social distance and wear a mask for many years until herd immunity occurs.  Then there's the real possibility that yearly vaccinations will be needed to continue protecting people as well as more than one shot.  Scientists have already said that 1 single dose will not be sufficient.  

Herd immunity isn't a thing for Covid. It's going to be a booster shot situation. If you get Covid once, you can get it again the same year. We are unfortunately going to have to do what some Asian countries are doing and require people to present proof of recent negative tests (and eventually innoculation) before entering certain buildings and doing certain jobs.

The best bet is to kill Covid off by giving it no ability to jump to new hosts. That is what New Zealand did and they are Covid free with hardly any deaths.

That requires significant social distancing and mask usage and hygiene. If I had Covid, lets pretend, if I couldn't pass it on to anyone else because they were all doing what they were supposed to, the virus would die once my immune system fought it off, assuming I survived of course. Those who work against killing off Covid and make excuses for those who shirk the precautions that kill it, are destroying the economy without realizing it.

"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

Amazon workers are treated badly --- and the work they have to do is not fit for humans. While the Big Sh*t owner spends his time with his girlfriend travelling the world and living in mansions.

Honored Contributor

@ellaphant wrote:

Not a user of Amaon unless I cannot find an item somewhere else.

@ellaphant 

When it comes to me spending money I buy where I get the most for my money. Political reasons do not influence any of those decisions. The same when it comes to how much money a CEO, or anyone in top positions, have in their piggy banks.

However, when it comes to what I view as disrespect to certain aspects of where I live? That is completely different. The above paragraph is what Capitalism is all about. Disrespect however is totally different, and I treat them as such.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Valued Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

Herd immunity isn't a thing for Covid. It's going to be a booster shot situation. If you get Covid once, you can get it again the same year. We are unfortunately going to have to do what some Asian countries are doing and require people to present proof of recent negative tests (and eventually innoculation) before entering certain buildings and doing certain jobs.

The best bet is to kill Covid off by giving it no ability to jump to new hosts. That is what New Zealand did and they are Covid free with hardly any deaths.

That requires significant social distancing and mask usage and hygiene. If I had Covid, lets pretend, if I couldn't pass it on to anyone else because they were all doing what they were supposed to, the virus would die once my immune system fought it off, assuming I survived of course. Those who work against killing off Covid and make excuses for those who shirk the precautions that kill it, are destroying the economy without realizing it.

I'll have to look that up although I'm sure you've already done the leg work....could've sworn herd immunity enters into the equation with covid but maybe the source of what I read was incorrect.  Thanks @Porcelain 

Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

I'll have to look that up although I'm sure you've already done the leg work....could've sworn herd immunity enters into the equation with covid but maybe the source of what I read was incorrect.  Thanks @Porcelain 

This is starting to get off topic, but I find it really interesting. I am no expert. I've just gathered what info I could from the medical journals and medical journalism.

Herd immunity? My opinion? Not here. Definitely would not work without a vaccine, and it won't work here even with a vaccine. Too many anti vax people. Elsewhere, temporary herd immunity might work really well with a vaccine.

Here the anti vax folks will still be vulnerable and still spreading Covid. Our issues with anti maskers and anti vaxers will complicate and delay getting back to normal. Too much polarization and chaos. Only the freshly vaccinated will be safe under those circumstances. It will be a very tiered and stratified situation. I plan to be one of the safe ones.

Valued Contributor

@Porcelain I just read a piece on mayoclinic dot org

It's called

Herd immunity and Covid-19 What you need to know

Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

The idea that so many people would rather sit at home than work is one of those political talking points that resonate with some -- even though it has no basis in fact.

@suzyQ3 

Thats one of the main squawking points regarding the next stimulus check.....some people can make more on unemployment....

Yes, @Spurt, I was considering it as the same animal.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland