Honored Contributor

I shop local when I can, but I really couldn't say I'm shopping Mom & Pop unless you consider Lowe's, Home Depot, Target, etc. Mom & Pop.  But, I'm not driving all over town trying to find some obscure item.  Even things that I think should be an easy find, I often don't find in the places I shop locally.  Last time I was in Old Tyme Pottery they had tons of different canisters to choose from, so when I needed one recently I stopped in and was disappointed that their selection had dropped to almost nothing.  I have to be in full desperation mode to shop at Walmart though.  

Respected Contributor

I like Amazon and shop there often. However, their prices are no longer the great bargains they used to be. I can find cheaper prices at Target, Walmart and even Lowes.

But sometimes, Amazon is the only store that has the largest selection of merchandise.

Esteemed Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

Absolutely not! Amazon is the demise of the small mom & pop stores. I only buy Amazon as a very last resort. Too bad buyers go there first. I'd much rather go to my local store to see, feel, touch and try on in person. Please shop nearby. 

I'm done with Amazon Prime.  I may continue to shop with Amazon but I refuse to pay for Prime. 

They are locking people out of their accounts (those that have extra security on their browsers) and you have to jump through hoops to prove who you are. They assume you are using their app.  I don't shop from Apps.  I used a desktop computer.

I think they have been hacked in the past and didn't tell anyone.  I'm not going to pay for that humiliation.  Besides the only other real benefit I derived from Prime was Amazon Fresh food shopping.  I won't need that anymore.  I relied on it during the height of the Pandemic but now they don't sell nearly half of the stuff they used to when I first started.  Out of stock is too prevalent for most things I buy from them, so why bother?

Don't need anything from Fire Tablets, Movies or Music, Cloud Service.  A lot of the stuff I purchased was not actually 2 day shipping.  Many of the items I purchased were not sold by Amazon, but shipped by Amazon.  

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

I'm still waiting for an Amazon order I placed Sept 15.  Tracking shows it was delivered to an address in Hawaii but the shipper's rep assures me they used the wrong tracking number and it will be delivered by Oct. 8th (TODAY!).  So far no delivery and I really don't expect to get it.

I've been underwhelmed with Amazon service recently.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Amazon Surprise

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

I'm still waiting for an Amazon order I placed Sept 15.  Tracking shows it was delivered to an address in Hawaii but the shipper's rep assures me they used the wrong tracking number and it will be delivered by Oct. 8th (TODAY!).  So far no delivery and I really don't expect to get it.

I've been underwhelmed with Amazon service recently.

I'm done with Prime.  The ridiculous mess I've had to go through twice this year did it for me.  Whenever I call them to aks a question they want to send a text to my cell.  I never get it.  So, I have to wait to speak to a CS rep so they can ask me my life story to verify my account.  I have been a Member of Amazon since it's inception and before they were known as "Endless Shoes."  All the $$$ I spent with them over the years to be treated like a criminal wasn't sitting well with me.

I know the safety measures are a good thing, but to be told we can't find your account?  Not me.  Not again.

Esteemed Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

This is a good thing, for sure, but Amazon prices can be thru the roof, buyer still has to beware!!

@Shelbelle 

"Through the roof"?

Not the items I buy. On higher dollar purchases, if they seem higher than I want to spend? I check the price daily, and many times, they have come down over 50%.

All the items I buy I cannot get them from any other retailer, to my door, for less money. Then there are their return practices. Have yet to find any retailer that even comes close.

These are my many years of purchasing experiences via Amazon Prime. 

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

There are very few places online that I shop that require me to pay shipping.  I simply wait until I meet the free shipping threshold and place my order.  One can do that with Amazon as well.  I think it used to be $25 minimum for free shipping.  May have gone up in recent years though.

So many places to shop w/o having to pay for shipping.  Every other place I shop will also accept Pay Pal except Amazon!!!!  The only place I can think of that makes you pay shipping either way is Bath and Bodyworks.

Honored Contributor

We were buying from Amazon from the 1990's!  It seemed they first arrived and my husband (always tech minded) welcomed them.  We also joined Prime when it was introduced too.  The very first thing we purchased form them was toaster oven.  We had that thing for years.  We now have a 2nd one that has lasted and lasted. The only we didn't buy were major appliances like a washer/dryer, etc.  That we went to a store to examine first.  But the rest of the stuff......  Very few returns and customer service was great all the time. We were also the first customers of Fresh.  That's when I stared buying food online.  I was forced to move over to instacart when Fresh became too popular.  But I loved the service. 

Honored Contributor

Our daughter got married three weeks ago and I called it the wedding from Amazon.  I found it much easier to order than spending extensive hours and gasoline trying to chase down a variety of supplies and decor.  It all turned out so beautiful.

DH and I checked into a hotel this afternoon and we'll be here for a week. I just realized I neglected to pack something we need. Amazon to the rescue.  My item will be delivered to the hotel tomorrow!  Amazing!