Honored Contributor

@spcav wrote:
Why not get the 30 day trial?

Amazon knows they'll get thousands of new memberships on Prime Day - and they count on the fact that a good percentage of those will not remember to cancel the trial.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Re: Amazon Prime Day

[ Edited ]

@Moonchilde wrote:

@spcav wrote:
Why not get the 30 day trial?

Amazon knows they'll get thousands of new memberships on Prime Day - and they count on the fact that a good percentage of those will not remember to cancel the trial.

Yep. 

But most people who try it and actually use it to see all they get from it decide to keep Amazon Prime. When I signed up I gave myself 30 days to prove I would get my money's worth. lol I hate wasting money!

I do do know of people who got the free trial to purchase one or two specific items and then canceled. 

Honored Contributor

@willdob3 wrote:

I love Amazon Prime, too.

I don't think I will be buying anything tomorrow though. I'm not looking for excuses to send more money, just ways to save on things I already need/want.

I will say I would not have paid $99 just for free S&H. I got it for Amazon Prime Video. It is my main TV/movie "channel" since I don't have cable TV.  A month of cable used to cost me about what a year of Amazon does. Free 2 day S&H and the other perks are just icing on the cake.

Strangely, @willdob3, I once felt as you do, but I have done an about-face. I never wanted Prime while I was working and living in a huge urban area where I could pretty much buy anything and didn't need anything in 2 days.

I knew I was moving to a semi-rural area with lousy cable, so got Prime on sale for Prime Video.

Turns out, the wi-fi is data capped and slooowwww (not mine, can't do anything about it), so it's rare that I can get through a movie :-( OTOH, I either can't find a lot of things I used to take for granted in local stores, and/or would have to drive 30 miles round trip to get them, so I am using Prime shipping (and loving it) all the time now when I never thought I would. Who knew?

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Re: Amazon Prime Day

[ Edited ]

@Moonchilde wrote:

@willdob3 wrote:

I love Amazon Prime, too.

I don't think I will be buying anything tomorrow though. I'm not looking for excuses to send more money, just ways to save on things I already need/want.

I will say I would not have paid $99 just for free S&H. I got it for Amazon Prime Video. It is my main TV/movie "channel" since I don't have cable TV.  A month of cable used to cost me about what a year of Amazon does. Free 2 day S&H and the other perks are just icing on the cake.

Strangely, @willdob3, I once felt as you do, but I have done an about-face. I never wanted Prime while I was working and living in a huge urban area where I could pretty much buy anything and didn't need anything in 2 days.

I knew I was moving to a semi-rural area with lousy cable, so got Prime on sale for Prime Video.

Turns out, the wi-fi is data capped and slooowwww (not mine, can't do anything about it), so it's rare that I can get through a movie :-( OTOH, I either can't find a lot of things I used to take for granted in local stores, and/or would have to drive 30 miles round trip to get them, so I am using Prime shipping (and loving it) all the time now when I never thought I would. Who knew?

I had to upgrade my Internet because I stream my TV instead of using cable. I still save a lot of money.

I DO use Prime 2 day shipping & I order quite often. Before I had Prime I would just wait until I had enough to buy that it qualified for free shipping. Now I don't have to wait so I order more often but the total amount of the order tends to be less much of the time.

Honored Contributor

FWIW, if you tend to be an impulse shopper, Amazon Prime might not be a good idea for you. I've read about people going a bit crazy out of control with the free shipping deal.

I must be lucky, I only go to Amazon when I know what I am looking for. 

Honored Contributor

@willdob3 I belong to it but mainly use it at Christmas.  I sent my granddaughter the GoPro a few days ago and instead of it going to her, they sent it to ME!

Just as well because the other grandma got her one too.  I'll give the one I got to another grandchild and get this kid what she REALLY wants, a bunch of Ken and Barbees.

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66

That little mistake worked out well in the end! Nice!

I used to go out to stores to pick out every single Christmas & birthday gift. Now, like you, many of my gifts are ordered from Amazon. It is just so easy & fast. It makes sense.

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66

I used to love Barbie! You are going to make your granddaughter very happy! She is one lucky girl.

Honored Contributor

@willdob3 You would not believe the Barbie's my friend's mother had in her house.  Actually, they are all still there.  Her mom died a few years ago.  You never in your life (I swear I'm not exaggerating) have seen so many Barbie dolls in my life.  There are many hundreds (swear to you) in this house.  All in boxes!  Lined everywhere!  Her mother used to collect them!  She and her sister just haven't done anything with the house.  It's overwhelming!  

Anyway, I still have all of the Barbie dolls my girls (now, 43, 41 and 36) played with.  Every toy they ever had.  Cabbage Patch Dolls?  You betcha!  Ha!

I'll go and buy her a bunch of them and some clothes.  Do you remember when Bob Mackie made Cher's clothes for her TV show?  Well, the Matel people copied them for Barbie and ..... you guessed it, we have Cher doll and clothes.  Cher was bigger than Barbie.  Sonny looked weird!  Ha!

Anyway, you know it's difficult to find the Ken dolls?  I love picking up the Cabbage Patch dolls (my one daughter wanted her's, the other two left them here).  So many of them...Kooza dolls?  Remember them?  Those dolls are so sweet.  They still make them.  Every chance I get I buy them for my granddaughters!  Ha!

My youngest grandson is almost 4.  I wish a daughter would have another baby but the two oldest say, "The store is closed Mom"!  Ha!  I have the youngest but she isn't married and is running out of time.  Ha!

I think I'll look on Amazon and see what's there for Barbies....

Honored Contributor

@willdob3 I just went looking on Amazon and saw where I can order things easily with Alexa....I have Alexa and said, "Alexa what can I order on Amazon Prime Day" and she rattled off a few things.

Ahhh!  Isn't technology amazing!  Ha!