Honored Contributor

@willdob3 wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@willdob3 wrote:

I love Amazon Prime, too.

I don't think I will be buying anything tomorrow though. I'm not looking for excuses to send more money, just ways to save on things I already need/want.

I will say I would not have paid $99 just for free S&H. I got it for Amazon Prime Video. It is my main TV/movie "channel" since I don't have cable TV.  A month of cable used to cost me about what a year of Amazon does. Free 2 day S&H and the other perks are just icing on the cake.

Strangely, @willdob3, I once felt as you do, but I have done an about-face. I never wanted Prime while I was working and living in a huge urban area where I could pretty much buy anything and didn't need anything in 2 days.

I knew I was moving to a semi-rural area with lousy cable, so got Prime on sale for Prime Video.

Turns out, the wi-fi is data capped and slooowwww (not mine, can't do anything about it), so it's rare that I can get through a movie :-( OTOH, I either can't find a lot of things I used to take for granted in local stores, and/or would have to drive 30 miles round trip to get them, so I am using Prime shipping (and loving it) all the time now when I never thought I would. Who knew?

I had to upgrade my Internet because I stream my TV instead of using cable. I still save a lot of money.

I DO use Prime 2 day shipping & I order quite often. Before I had Prime I would just wait until I had enough to buy that it qualified for free shipping. Now I don't have to wait so I order more often but the total amount of the order tends to be less much of the time.

If only we COULD upgrade the internet (I'd pay!) but alas, no can do. Our ONLY option is a HughesNet dish. No one else has receivers where we are. It's a dead zone. ALL HughesNet, everywhere, is data capped. Ours is slow because of geographic location (halfway on a sheltered hill). Towards the end of the month I want to shoot myself. I had 15 mps speed and of course unlimited data in LA. Waaah! 😖 

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Trusted Contributor

I love Prime. SOOOO fast!

In January of every year (usually around the 15th(ish)), there is always a "Prime Fee" sale. This year they knocked it down to $72.00 for the sale price.

So if anyone is thinking $99 is too much, wait for the sale.

I personally would pay the $99.00 any day. I get my money's worth in a few months. I shop almost exclusively at Amazon, as does my son. You can add one person onto your Prime for free, so we both shop there. (except for clothes) Son also streams whatever he is watching, and we both use the music.

I LOVE their return policy! You instantly get your credit as soon as they scan the return label, sometimes before you get home from shipping it. They give you the credit before the item even gets back there. If any reason why the refund is not valid, they just take it back. (I imagine you can only mess with them once before you do not get the 'instant refund').

I almost only shop "Prime, shipped by Amazon". There are sellers on there that are not Prime and can sometimes be a teeny bit cheaper, but I always think about a possible return (rarely, rarely happens, but....), and not all non-Prime sellers are as good with customer service as Amazon's customer service. They get the gold star award when it comes to service!

I jumped online tonight because I needed to replenish some vitamins and didn't want to get caught up in the craziness of tomorrow. I buy everyday stuff, so I do not really need anything to even look at the "sale".

Many stores are trying to compete though. I thought I heard Target was going to match prices or something? Not sure where I read that.

Honored Contributor

I do think I get my money's worth, and then some, by being a prime member.  If there is an additional deal or two tomorrow...great!  If not, it won't make me change my mind about my membership.

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@willdob3 wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@willdob3 wrote:

I don't think I will be buying anything tomorrow though. I'm not looking for excuses to send more money, just ways to save on things I already need/want.

I will say I would not have paid $99 just for free S&H. I got it for Amazon Prime Video. It is my main TV/movie "channel" since I don't have cable TV.  A month of cable used to cost me about what a year of Amazon does. Free 2 day S&H and the other perks are just icing on the cake.

Strangely, @willdob3, I once felt as you do, but I have done an about-face. I never wanted Prime while I was working and living in a huge urban area where I could pretty much buy anything and didn't need anything in 2 days.

I knew I was moving to a semi-rural area with lousy cable, so got Prime on sale for Prime Video.

Turns out, the wi-fi is data capped and slooowwww (not mine, can't do anything about it), so it's rare that I can get through a movie :-( OTOH, I either can't find a lot of things I used to take for granted in local stores, and/or would have to drive 30 miles round trip to get them, so I am using Prime shipping (and loving it) all the time now when I never thought I would. Who knew?

I had to upgrade my Internet because I stream my TV instead of using cable. I still save a lot of money.

I DO use Prime 2 day shipping & I order quite often. Before I had Prime I would just wait until I had enough to buy that it qualified for free shipping. Now I don't have to wait so I order more often but the total amount of the order tends to be less much of the time.

If only we COULD upgrade the internet (I'd pay!) but alas, no can do. Our ONLY option is a HughesNet dish. No one else has receivers where we are. It's a dead zone. ALL HughesNet, everywhere, is data capped. Ours is slow because of geographic location (halfway on a sheltered hill). Towards the end of the month I want to shoot myself. I had 15 mps speed and of course unlimited data in LA. Waaah! 😖 

Oh! I used to work for Wild Blue and kind of wondered if you might have that or HughesNet. That is rough. And I know there isn't anything you can do about it. 

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

@willdob3 I just went looking on Amazon and saw where I can order things easily with Alexa....I have Alexa and said, "Alexa what can I order on Amazon Prime Day" and she rattled off a few things.

Ahhh!  Isn't technology amazing!  Ha!

lol Did she have some ideas that were good for you or was she just selling? It would be tempting if she suggests great things We never thought of on our own!

Honored Contributor

@willdob3 wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@willdob3 wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@willdob3 wrote:

Oh! I used to work for Wild Blue and kind of wondered if you might have that or HughesNet. That is rough. And I know there isn't anything you can do about it. 

It sucks, speed-wise and data-wise, but it wouldn't be *as* bad if the house didn't sit where it does :-(

I got a survey from HughesNet a couple of weeks ago. It took me forever to complete the survey because the website kept giving me the "you have no wifi connection" message because it was taking so long - except, I *did* have, it was just that slow. I made sure that went in the survey, you betcha!

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66

Oh, I do remember all those special dolls and the outfits! I used to love seeing Cher's outfits on her TV show every week. Bob M must've had a blast designing them. I remember seeing the Sonny & Cher dolls. Celebrity dolls always look kind of strange to me. lol

Growing up I loved them all but I only had one Barbie. I had a Skipper, too, but I played mostly with Barbie. Never had a Ken doll. I don't think I ever wanted him. Barbie had better clothes!

About the time my first niece was born I won a fancy collector Barbie. I gave it to her mom to save for her but I am pretty sure it got donated somewhere. My niece did not like dolls and actually burst into tears once when she received one for a birthday gift... No clue how she got that way. Her younger sister is the world's original girlie girl! Loves all he normal girl things.

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@willdob3 wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@willdob3 wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

@willdob3 wrote:

It sucks, speed-wise and data-wise, but it wouldn't be *as* bad if the house didn't sit where it does :-(

I got a survey from HughesNet a couple of weeks ago. It took me forever to complete the survey because the website kept giving me the "you have no wifi connection" message because it was taking so long - except, I *did* have, it was just that slow. I made sure that went in the survey, you betcha!

Have you called their CS to see if they can tweak the dish or something? With service that bad I would be requesting they attempt to fix it and, if they can't, I'd be requesting a discount. 

Honored Contributor

@Annabellethecat66

Supposedly tomorrow, if you use Alexa to place an order you will get 10 dollars off a 20 dollar purchase!

Honored Contributor

Siri and Cortana have p'ed me off enough.  I'm going to to steer clear of Alexa. Smiley Sad