Esteemed Contributor

I always look for the worst reviews. 

Honored Contributor

What did y'all do before online shopping?  There was no reviews in the stores.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Trusted Contributor

I agree with original OP, I find the Amazon website to be very overwhelming.  I find it annoying that I will search for 1 product and then a list of 50 of the same item pops up from separate retailers.  Then I have to search to each one to find out if I get free shipping or not (refuse to pay for prime).

Honestly its easier and often times cheaper to search and purchase through other retailers online.  

For your coffee pot I would look online at bed bath and beyond and use the 20% off coupon.

Respected Contributor

@Imaoldhippie   The  recommendation of family and  friends,  reliable quality and service from a store (Nordstrum)  or manufacturer based on prior purchases (Sears in thee distant past for appliances and tools) and Consumer Reports magazine are all things I consulted.  

I even trusted some longtime store employees in the department stores  I  visited frequently.   And the bike shops and hardware and pharmacy people were always, and still are helpful. 

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Valued Contributor

They do still make those percolator basket liners. I have like 500 of them left over from when my mother was still alive. She would only drink percolated coffee. I've seen the liners in grocery stores. 

Respected Contributor

@occasionalrain  Try using different word or phrases in your search and  you might be able to narrow the results considerably.

Hope this helps.  

Also when you find somethings that are closer to what you want there is a link underneath an item that you  can click that says "more like this" and also,  the other thing I  do is add possibles to my wish list.  Theen when I find "the" ideal item I look at the item  on other websites.   I got  two counter height chairs for 1/3  of the Amazon price and a lovely  marble shelf bakers rack, also at 1/3  the price from Walmart.  And delivery on both items was as fast as Amazon's plus I got Rakuten cash back!

Best,

aroc3435

Washington,  DC

Respected Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

My coffee maker died so I went to Amazon to order a new one. 

Hours of reading reviews, comparing and then giving up. The reviews brought me concerns, issues that I hadn't considered. The feet, are they rubber non-slip or plastic? Does it drip when pouring? How hot is the coffee? Does the clock stay lighted? 

Fortunately, I keep a cheap back up coffee maker so I can put off the decision.

Others seem to love Amazon shopping; is there some method to make it easy?

@occasionalrain  Yeah, simply do not allow yourself to get overwhelmed....read a few reviews for several products for you do have something in mind...make a decision!

I have done the same thing, going overboard looking at too many products of what I want to purchase.  To avoid overwhelm and walkaway, I had to find a balance.  You, too, have one!

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain 

I've tried to use Amazon many times, and have only bought a couple things over the years.  I just don't think it's as user-friendly as Ebay .... or other retailers.   

Example ... I looked at several toaster ovens on Amazon .... and after a LOT of research ended up getting a great price on Macy's and I think the TopCashBack rebates was 10% that day!   

Valued Contributor

This is funny....but whenever I want from Amazon I tell my son, he knows what I am after, picks it out and I pay him.  It is also here fast.  He understands Amazon I don't either.  Try it.

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@occasionalrain 

I've tried to use Amazon many times, and have only bought a couple things over the years.  I just don't think it's as user-friendly as Ebay .... or other retailers.   

Example ... I looked at several toaster ovens on Amazon .... and after a LOT of research ended up getting a great price on Macy's and I think the TopCashBack rebates was 10% that day!   

I agree with Macy's.  It's been my go to store forever and when they have big holiday sales, which almost all of the time, I'm amazed at their great prices.  I'll look there first and then check a range of other places and no one else is ever even close to Macy's.  We don't have one where we now live but I'm so confident in the selection and prices that I'll order online.  Love Macy's.  I hope I die before it does.