Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

If I see the same complaint over and over again in the reviews, that's a red flag assuming the issue is something I care about.  Sometimes the same complaint will go across brands which may indicate a problem with the design concept. 

For example, I have a Haan steam floor cleaner that also comes apart to use as a carry-around unit.  The little nubs that lock the hose in place broke off, so now I can no longer use it without risking severe burns when it comes off.  After reading reviews for many handheld-only units, it appears that the connection is a problem across all of them.  

Yup, that's what I'm looking for as well @Icegoddess

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

@Jersey Born wrote:

@occasionalrain - I hate it when that happens (coffee makers die).  I replaced my last one with a Cuisinart 14-cup, and I like it a lot.  Works well-- makes delicious tasting coffee when I press a button! (I don't ask for much.) I think they discontinued it in the 14-cup version but 12-cup versions are still available.

@Jersey Born  Costco still carries the 14C model - it's the Brew Central not the one that grinds the beans. It is $60. That's the one we like also and I always have a spare tucked away.

Trusted Contributor

@On It wrote:

Someone posted a while back concerning a percolator. I think my next purchase will be the Farberware percolator. We had one for quite sometime but I think we got lured in by the idea of a drip and got stuck on that. I like a percolator because all areas where the coffee and the water make contact are easily acccessible to be thoroughly cleaned. I am suspect that there's some leftover water lurking deep inside my drip machine that never completely empties. I think the coffee stayed hotter in the percolator. Now if they still make those coffee ground basket liners to help with clean up, we'll be set to go. Would that be something you might consider as well?

@On It  -  I use a drip for everyday, but when I travel, I take my 4 cup Farberware percolator with me. ( I have to have decaf and like good coffee).  Coffee perks fast and is hot.  I use Melitta small round filters in the basket for clean up and sediment.  Highly recommend it.

Respected Contributor

@froggy - Thank you for that information, and for the idea.  I probably should get a back up Cuisinart coffee maker, so I don't need to go through the hastle of dealing with what to do when this one eventually stops working.  It is just a PITA when you have to do what the OP posted-- check out online reviews, etc., when you are grumpy and need a cup of java in hand, but have to leave your home to get one.   

Esteemed Contributor

I usually narrow my search as much as possible- looking at specific brands and items sold by Amazon.  I try to stay away from third-party vendors.

Honored Contributor

@Jersey Born wrote:

@froggy - Thank you for that information, and for the idea.  I probably should get a back up Cuisinart coffee maker, so I don't need to go through the hastle of dealing with what to do when this one eventually stops working.  It is just a PITA when you have to do what the OP posted-- check out online reviews, etc., when you are grumpy and need a cup of java in hand, but have to leave your home to get one.   

@Jersey Born, they haven't discontinued the 14 cup. We just replaced ours  -- actually, it was still under warranty so it was free, including shipping. But they do have a updated model that. We didn't think the update was a big deal at all, just something with the controls that look fancier or something.

We have back-ups for back-ups!

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

Re: Amazon Overwhelms Me

[ Edited ]

I have been subscribing to Consumer Reports forever.  I don't have the issue handy, but I think their current rec is Hamilton Beach.  My neighbor has one and her coffee is hotter than mine.  

Honored Contributor

Thank you one and all. You've helped me to feel less overwhelmed and ready to have another attempt at it.

I may even look there for a bird bath as a reward for persevering..

Esteemed Contributor

Although it is fun to browse, once you are serious the search is different.

A couple of years ago I needed two coffeemakers.  First I decided on a metal carafe, cup size and price range.  Then you can vote off a water system you don't like etc.  

One was my backup and I did test it before I put it away.  No panic yet 😛

Esteemed Contributor

Your experience sounds like a book I just discovered about the paradox of choice.  Here's part of the overview.  

"Whether we're buying a pair of jeans, ordering a cup of coffee, selecting a long-distance carrier, applying to college, choosing a doctor, or setting up a 401K, everyday decisions have become increasingly complex due to the overwhelming abundance of choice with which we are presented.

In The Paradox of Choice, Barry Schwartz explains why too much of a good thing has proven detrimental to our psychological and emotional well-being. In accessible, engaging, and anecdotal prose, Schwartz explains how a culture that thrives on the availability of constantly evolving options can also foster profound dissatisfaction and self-blame in individuals, which can lead to a paralysis in decision making and, in some cases, depression."