Honored Contributor

My coffee maker died so I went to Amazon to order a new one. 

Hours of reading reviews, comparing and then giving up. The reviews brought me concerns, issues that I hadn't considered. The feet, are they rubber non-slip or plastic? Does it drip when pouring? How hot is the coffee? Does the clock stay lighted? 

Fortunately, I keep a cheap back up coffee maker so I can put off the decision.

Others seem to love Amazon shopping; is there some method to make it easy?

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@occasionalrain    Best not to go down that rabbit hole.  It can drive you mad.   Keep in mind there are people who enjoy giving bad reviews

Honored Contributor

Yeah, after doing all the reading and comparisons, you just pick one in your price range and go for it. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I take into consideration that there are usually a cranky person or two in the review mix.  If most people are positive, I note that.

If the concerns are something that would worry me, and many times they aren't, I note that as well.

AND I can, and have, send it back--so how big is it, etc?  Now you don't even have to rebox a lot of things.  Just take to Kohls, UPS or other points and give it to them!  How great is that?

To me it is better than running all over town, wasting an afternoon and then not knowing what to do!  

Trusted Contributor

I will sometimes view pictures of defects by customers and I think that's helpful.  I also look at the percentages of who's happy and who is not before making my decision. 

Honored Contributor

Thanks, I had no idea the bad reviews weren't reliable. 

Should I choose one with a lot of reviews and more than four stars?

Respected Contributor

Anymore when I read reviews, I take them with a grain of salt: companies can pay folks to write glowing reviews just to overwhelm any negative ones.  That's FRAUD.  Wish there were some way to call them out on it.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

Re: Amazon Overwhelms Me

[ Edited ]

@occasionalrain wrote:

My coffee maker died so I went to Amazon to order a new one. 

Hours of reading reviews, comparing and then giving up. The reviews brought me concerns, issues that I hadn't considered. The feet, are they rubber non-slip or plastic? Does it drip when pouring? How hot is the coffee? Does the clock stay lighted? 

Fortunately, I keep a cheap back up coffee maker so I can put off the decision.

Others seem to love Amazon shopping; is there some method to make it easy?

@occasionalrain 

I went through a similar experience buying a replacement corded vacuum cleaner...checked many different retail websites and I read so many reviews my head was spinning...ARRRGGHHH!!! Finally chose an Eureka lightweight based on reviews in Consumer Reports--it works fine! 

As far as coffee makers, mine went out on a Saturday morning... I checked online and believe it or not my grocery store, HEB, had the best price...I went to the store, but unfortunately they were out of the model I wanted, but I was desperate and didnt want to run all over town, so I purchased the very basic Mr. Coffee model that was left in stock no auto shutoff, no chosing brew strength, just fill it with water, put the paper filter in and fill with coffee, click the basic off/on switch to ON...PRESTO a decent cup of coffee!!! . I had to remember to turn it off after a second cup since no auto shutoff....With our hard water, coffee makers dont last long, and it was on sale for $11 what a bargain and its still going strong....so my advice is the less technology and features the longer it will last! 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Respected Contributor

@occasionalrain - I hate it when that happens (coffee makers die).  I replaced my last one with a Cuisinart 14-cup, and I like it a lot.  Works well-- makes delicious tasting coffee when I press a button! (I don't ask for much.) I think they discontinued it in the 14-cup version but 12-cup versions are still available.

Honored Contributor

@Spurt 

That's what my back up is like, Black & Decker and it cost around $15.