Esteemed Contributor

Re: Amazon Ordering Question

@chrystaltree wrote:

First, millions of people are Prime members and they never bought or intend to buy anything from Amazon.  The real value of having Prime is in the TV shows, movies, music, books, photo storage, gaming, grocery delivery and probably some other features.  It's likely you don't understand how to shop with Amazon.  Amazon is a platform not a retailer.  While Amazon does sell millions of products itself, they also have millions of third party sellers.  Some third party sellers are not in this country so delivery can take a while.  Also there are still supply chain issues.  I avoid third party sellers and I always use my Prime membership to avoid situations like you encountered.  YouTube has tutorials on how to shop on Amazon.

@chrystaltree  Not a problem at all for me understanding how to shop with Amazon.  While I understood that what I ordered was from third party retailers, these items were not available to be shiipped directly from Amazon.  These retailers were in this country.  I'm not in the least bit interested in their "perks" and especially not interested in paying to shop on their site. I know millions find Amazon useful, but not for me unless I can't find something elsewhere.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Biftu 

Amazon has been a mixed bag for me as a Prime Member.....

Ive had a couple of Amazon orders literally THROWN at my front door (there are 5 small steps to my condo which I guess the delivery person didnt want to deal with so they throught throwing my orders against the door solved their problem)---It caused my light bulbs to be broken in one order, and a vase to be broken in another order.  And to add insult to injury the Rep wanted me to wait a week and a half for a replacement---NO WAY---the website said the items were in stock!!!

And problems withe delivey dates, these products were Amazon directly and NOT from a 3rd party seller, supposed to be PRIME DELIVERY and they werent, pony express would have been faster...They got sent USPS!

They dont deliver to my front door as I specified in UPS instructions and also specified speical delivery instructions on UPS Prime Membership. However, instead; they leave some deliveries with my Condo Mail Room. So I called and spoke with a Supervisor and he was rude and argued that the Condo Mail Room had the same street address, and I argued with him that the mailing label shows that SAME street address, BUT it also shows my UNIT NUMBER, while the Condo Mail Room DOES NOT HAVE A UNIT NUMBER---He said I had point there....SMH! .....And I told him these were AMAZON products and the website said PRIME DELIVERY and I pay $14.99 a month for Prime and if I wanted Mail Room deliveries I'd go for the regular USPS deliveries with another retailer at no extra charge ....but I needed these products quickly so thats why I selected an Amazon item and PRIME delivery item!!! 

Now I did order an Amazon item that weighed 15 lbs and the delivery was PERFECT, I even sent a compliment to for the delivery person since I realized this was a heavy item that they delivered CORRECTLY to my front door!

I also got an EMPTY package for an Amazon order! 

In other words GOOD LUCK when you order from Amazon! Either their employees dont care, or Amazon is so overwhelmed with deliveries these days and they dont have enough employees to service customer demand!  If they can't deliver, then dont offer it! 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Biftu wrote:

@chrystaltree wrote:

First, millions of people are Prime members and they never bought or intend to buy anything from Amazon.  The real value of having Prime is in the TV shows, movies, music, books, photo storage, gaming, grocery delivery and probably some other features.  It's likely you don't understand how to shop with Amazon.  Amazon is a platform not a retailer.  While Amazon does sell millions of products itself, they also have millions of third party sellers.  Some third party sellers are not in this country so delivery can take a while.  Also there are still supply chain issues.  I avoid third party sellers and I always use my Prime membership to avoid situations like you encountered.  YouTube has tutorials on how to shop on Amazon.

@chrystaltree  Not a problem at all for me understanding how to shop with Amazon.  While I understood that what I ordered was from third party retailers, these items were not available to be shiipped directly from Amazon.  These retailers were in this country.  I'm not in the least bit interested in their "perks" and especially not interested in paying to shop on their site. I know millions find Amazon useful, but not for me unless I can't find something elsewhere.

@Biftu 

With Amazon Prime Membership I was only interested in their DELIVERY service, I never used their Prime Video or any other "perks". Perhaps they should offer different levels of membership....because I think "delivery only" customers are subsidizing those that watch the videos and programming and use other perks......Now as an NFL fan Im stuck with Amazon Membership because Amazon Prime has taken over Thursday Night NFL games.....🙄

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

I never get orders the next day, although we now have an Amazon fulfillment center.  I generally place 2-3 orders a week and have only ever had one cancelled.  My orders usually arrive in 3 days but some take longer.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

My last experience with Amazon was not what I expected.

I was looking for Paul Newman's Olive Oil and Vinegar salad dressing. It was discontinued so I wanted to try and find it before it disappeared.  

I found it in a market in San Francisco. So I ordered 6 bottles at an unreasonable price. But I figured it was worth it.

Waited and waited for delivery. Finally about 2 weeks later, I got a box from Walmart. It contained 6 bottles of Classic Oil and Vinegar. It was not what I ordered. I could walk into any grocery and get Classic Oil and Vinegar at a reasonable price. 

Lesson learned. 

@drizzellla    I hope you returned it.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@Biftu 

Ive had a couple of Amazon orders literally THROWN at my front door (there are 5 small steps to my condo which I guess the delivery person didnt want to deal with so they throught throwing my orders against the door solved their problem)---It caused my light bulbs to be broken in one order, and a vase to be broken in another order.  And to add insult to injury the Rep wanted me to wait a week and a half for a replacement---NO WAY---the website said the items were in stock!!!

And problems withe delivey dates, these products were Amazon directly and NOT from a 3rd party seller, supposed to be PRIME DELIVERY and they werent, pony express would have been faster...They got sent USPS!

They dont deliver to my front door as I specified in UPS instructions and also specified speical delivery instructions on UPS Prime Membership. However, instead; they leave some deliveries with my Condo Mail Room. So I called and spoke with a Supervisor and he was rude and argued that the Condo Mail Room had the same street address, and I argued with him that the mailing label shows that SAME street address, BUT it also shows my UNIT NUMBER, while the Condo Mail Room DOES NOT HAVE A UNIT NUMBER---He said I had point there....SMH! .....And I told him these were AMAZON products and the website said PRIME DELIVERY and I pay $14.99 a month for Prime and if I wanted Mail Room deliveries I'd go for the regular USPS deliveries with another retailer at no extra charge ....but I needed these products quickly so thats why I selected an Amazon item and PRIME delivery item!!! 

Now I did order an Amazon item that weighed 15 lbs and the delivery was PERFECT, I even sent a compliment to for the delivery person since I realized this was a heavy item that they delivered CORRECTLY to my front door!

In other words GOOD LUCK when you order from Amazon! Either their employees dont care, or Amazon is so overwhelmed with deliveries these days and they dont have enough employees to service customer demand!  If they can't deliver, then dont offer it! 

@Spurt  Oh my.  Guess I have nothing to complaint about after reading this.  Hard to motivate employees who are not treated well.  Exactly, if they can't deliver they should not take the order.  Good luck with your future purchases.

Esteemed Contributor

@Biftu 

Not sure what you mean when you say:  "Amazon practices, especially towards employees".

Don't know if you ever worked in a big factory, I did for over 3 decades. Mine was a manufacturing factory, and I worked on some pretty tough jobs.

I however spent most of my years on non-assembly line jobs. Those that worked on a "many steps assembly line"?  Me personally! I don't know, many over many jobs I have seen in my long life, that I would not take before those assembly line jobs.

Don't know if this has anything to do with being Unionized, but I can tell you this. I spent all my 33 years in our Union, and over the years, I did more to protect myself than our Union. That Union even went so far to break their promise to retirees.

When I retired we were promised with the 3 year contract renewals with the company, the retirees would get the same percentage wage increases as those working. Uh Huh!

Retired in 1991, and got 1 raise in 1994. Then my great Union, broke their promise, and voted the raise for us that retired. I am still on a pension of 1994 dollars.

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Biftu wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@Biftu 

@Spurt  Oh my.  Guess I have nothing to complaint about after reading this.  Hard to motivate employees who are not treated well.  Exactly, if they can't deliver they should not take the order.  Good luck with your future purchases.

@Biftu 

If Amazon and their vendors are overwhelmed with orders then their website should reflect ACCURATE and REALISTIC customer expectations....

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hckynutjohn  AND ALL---

I think they are talking about some of the conditions that Amazon warehouse workers complained about..This was from an investigative report from Forbes. (I think you have to subscribe to read)

Amazon has a much higher turnover rate than most major companies (150% for warehouse workers)..Warehouses in hot climates had no air conditioning.  Some said they were too many payroll errors and they got shortchanged in their paychecks. Some said they were given breaks, but by the time they walked all the way to the one restroom their break was over with no time to get a bit of a rest....An HR Rep said, "With the focus on getting products to customers as quickly as possible, we may have neglected to pay attention to the needs of our own workers."........

Bezos philosophy is that employees lose interest in their jobs at 3 yrs so he would rather replace them with fresh hires....And instead of promoting from within and creating career paths, Bezos chose to hire Management from the outside....

@hckynutjohn 

Now I preface this with the fact I work for a company that has extremely high expectations, so I know all about the stress from trying to meet very high and in some cases unrealistic goals. Sometimes there is very little thought thinking about their employee as a person and an employee's well being. My employer has also implemented software to track our every move, and I do mean every move---including restroom time......BUT the salaries are good, and the benefits are outstanding....so it comes with the territory....and there's always the exit door out that any employee can chose ....But I also think that perhaps its too much for today's young generation compared to each of our respective work eras....

P.S. Unions are very weak here in Texas.....they basically do very very little....and only 4.9% of the entire Texas workforce is Unionized

Esteemed Contributor

@hckynutjohn There have been many articles, interviews, and programs on Amazon's treatment of employees and working conditions. I especially remember the piece 60 minutes did on Amazon's working conditions.  That is but one reason I'm not a fan.

Sorry to hear the story about your union affiliation.  Unions may have their place, but unions need to be comitted to the employees and have a fair and equitable management team at the helm. I worked at a clerical job that was unionized during college.  Those dues were steep if I remember correctly.