Honored Contributor

I don't use Amazon Fresh, but if you do, did you see that Amazon announced that they will start charging a delivery fee for prime orders less than $150?  

It begins in February 28th.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Honored Contributor

Re: Amazon Fresh delivery fees

Some of the amenities that we experienced during the height of Covid are going away (I loved the early morning extended hours for shopping at Costco).  But, inflation is a hard hitting reality.

@gidgetgh Thanks for the heads up.

Honored Contributor

I don't know this for a fact but I bet during the height of the pandemic Amazon was living high on the hog and are now doing away perks and advantages.

Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh   I haven't heard my friends who swear by Amazon comment yet, but I know Amazon is facing plenty of challenges.  In Florida, they had planned new millions of warehouse space which they now have given up.

Over the last 3 years, I have seen a massive increase in their deliveries -  maybe eliminting the most costly Prime orders is their next cut back?  I often see their delivery vans 5 to 10 times a day in my modest neighborhood.  I have no idea what the average order is worth, but I'd assume many are so small that the costs to deliver don't justify including delivery in the prices.

Honored Contributor

I just got this notice and I always use Fresh but may re-think it now----I don't usually order $150 at a time --altho these days, that is not hard to do. I also order from Instacart so maybe I will switch altogether--will read it thru again. Not surprised, I have to say. Woman Indifferent

Honored Contributor

I pay the same for Prime as everyone else but Amazon Fresh is not available in my area, so we don't get full benefits.  I think we should have a reduced membership charge.

@millieshops   I've often thought it's only a matter of time until Amazon puts a minimum limit on Prime orders.  They can't be making a profit delivering a toothbrush.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

This is from CNBC.  It seems like a reasonable approach.

"Beginning Feb. 28, Prime members who want home delivery from Amazon Fresh will incur a $9.95 delivery fee for orders under $50, while orders between $50 and $100 will include a $6.95 delivery fee, and orders between $100 and $150 will carry a $3.95 delivery fee, the company said in a note to customers viewed by CNBC. Only Prime members can use the delivery service, although anybody can shop at an Amazon Fresh grocery store."

Honored Contributor

I will not be ordering as much now with the price increase on shipping and how much you buy.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

'Prime' and Amazon benefits keep dwindling. Just last week we were advised they were doing away with their 'Smile' program that allowed a small percentage of shoppers' expenditures to go to a charity of their choice. The new plan is that Amazon pics the 'hot button' charities and customers no longer have a say, as the Smile program sundowns next month. Now, the free shipping advantage of shopping Fresh and spending over $35 (when you could actually find a viable 2 hour delivery window, and if you wanted a 1 hour window, you were already paying) has escalated all the way up to $150. Frankly, there's nothing reasonable about it. This new system puts them in the same category of all the other grocery stores where one pays for delivery but can also get a far wider array of products than the limited offerings of Fresh. Moreover, Fresh isn't always all that fresh nor are their prices always better, in my experience, but it is convenient and reasonably reliable. I don't know Bezos, maybe you ought to consider coming out of retirement. Current management doesn't seem to be doing so well. My Prime membership is going month to month and I'll decide if it's worth keeping. Frankly, I'm not sure it is, as the benefits continue to whittle down.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I didn't see that but I'm ok with it if the delivery fee is reasonable. I get my groceries delivered by two local stores and the charge a delivery fee and I tip. Doordash and Shiot charge to deliver. I haven't used Amaazon Fresh in a very long time so it doesn't affect me.