Honored Contributor

Re: Amazon Fresh delivery fees

@ValuSkr wrote:
This is from CNBC. It seems like a reasonable approach.

"Beginning Feb. 28, Prime members who want home delivery from Amazon Fresh will incur a $9.95 delivery fee for orders under $50, while orders between $50 and $100 will include a $6.95 delivery fee, and orders between $100 and $150 will carry a $3.95 delivery fee, the company said in a note to customers viewed by CNBC. Only Prime members can use the delivery service, although anybody can shop at an Amazon Fresh grocery store."

Thanks for giving the details that op didn't share. This is verry reasonable.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I used Fresh way early.  It was available in my area when it started.  Most people didn't know about it. i even posted about it. Most people said it was not available there yet.  I had for a couple of years.  We paid a yearly fee.  Can't remember how much but I think it was under  $80.00  Anyway it was just fine until the pandemic started.  Overnight I was locked out of Fresh.  Could no longer order food for delivery.  The only time for a delivery was after midnight.  Too many people heard about it.  In the meantime Amazon, desperate to keep their  customers offered the folks who were on it before hand to drop the yearly fee.  So now it was totally free, but could not get on.  I switched to Instacart.  Still have it, and I'm happy with it.  Meanwhile Fresh changed.   Since then, I've never ordered from them again. I've been with Instacart now over 3 years. I love their customer service.  Any problem with your delivery, they'll do someting about it.  I've not stepped foot in a supermarket. I've never ordered prepared food like Grubhub or Doordash.  Just groceries.

Esteemed Contributor

I have never been able to use Amazon Fresh because of all its limitations, so ths does not hurt me in any way.

But I am saddened to read in @stevieb's post that the AmazonSmile program is being eliminated.  I searched for the email notification, which I had missed.  Amazon states that it is unsatisfied with the limited impact the program is having.  My guess is that the entities that benefited from the program will be even more unsatisfied to receive nothing at all in the future.  I will take that change into account in deciding what Amazon purchases to make after the program is discontinued on February 20, 2023.

Valued Contributor

I use Amazon Fresh and was very unhappy to receive the email yesterday. Prime membership went up $20 last year and now this. The main reason I renewed was because of Amazon Fresh. I'm not able to get around like I used to and on a budget. The supermarkets around here are more expensive than Amazon. I wish I could cancel my membership.
Respected Contributor

I saw the headline for this early this morning.....Amazon is doing "shrinkflation" just like other places now. Pay the same, but get less for it. It's everywhere now. They are selling eggs by the half dozen now in many grocery stores, just like they did years ago. 

Honored Contributor

@Trailrun23 wrote:

I saw the headline for this early this morning.....Amazon is doing "shrinkflation" just like other places now. Pay the same, but get less for it. It's everywhere now. They are selling eggs by the half dozen now in many grocery stores, just like they did years ago. 

@Trailrun23 - the grocery store I shop at has always carried eggs by the half dozen.  It's the only way I buy them.  I only ever need 2, when I make squash casserole.  I don't know that I've ever bought an entire dozen eggs in my life. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I pay the same for Prime as everyone else but Amazon Fresh is not available in my area, so we don't get full benefits.  I think we should have a reduced membership charge.

@millieshops   I've often thought it's only a matter of time until Amazon puts a minimum limit on Prime orders.  They can't be making a profit delivering a toothbrush.

No Fresh for me either and it is a little irritating that we pay the same price. I suppose the delivery charge will even that out some.

What really annoys me though is the new deal with Amazon music. "Hey we're giving you tons more free music but if you click on a song to play we're just going to pick something else for you" What on earth. I already pay for Prime and Kindle Unlimited and I'm not adding Music Unlimited. I'm actually close to cancelling Prime since I use it less and less.Just cancelled an item I was subscribed to because I realized it was cheaper everywhere else.

Esteemed Contributor

@pigletsmom 

You did not miss anything without Amazon Fresh.  I was never able to get an Amazon Fresh delivery, I think the whole thing was just a gimmick to get people to buy more stuff.  To get free delivery of a product I wanted, I had to purchase a specific total dollar amount in items that they selected and that I would not have otherwise purchased.  And even when I did that, I couln't get delivery for days, even though the item description stated I could get the item in 2 hours.  I just could not get delivery in 2 hours. I would be offered the choice to go pick up my order in another state.

Better yet, I just purchased the item at a nearby store, or from Amazon Prime at a slightly higher price that was still below the local price.

Regular Amazon Prime generally delivers faster and at mostly good prices the products it offers, and is generally a good service, with a giant selection of products.  Customer service is mostly excellent.

The extra services that they ask customers to pay for, I don't know why this is an issue.

Amazon includes some services in Prime and not others.  Just like the cable company has different prices for different channel packages.  And the grocery store has a price for bananas, and if I want to have bananas and apples, I have to pay the price for each.

No difference.

Amazon Fresh to me is just a joke, a gimmick to get us to buy things we don't want.

Trusted Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe 

Well my issue is specifically the idea of Fresh when it's actually included in the cost of Prime and yet it's not available for everyone. 

I think Prime is great for somethings but they pretty much price match everyday items with the Walmart website these days. And Walmart often delivers to me the same day. It's great for more random stuff for sure or if I just want one thing quick.

I have no problem paying my monthly Kindle since I read a ton. The music thing is beyond ridiculous though. They literally promoted it like we were getting even more music included with Prime now. But, and it's a big but, if you try to play a song it will just play an entirely different one from the same artist. So a bunch of songs I had on my lists I can't listen to now unless they feel like letting me. So now I've lost one of the benefits of Prime.

Esteemed Contributor

@pigletsmom To be clear, my point is that I think Amazon Fresh has always been a gimmick to get people to buy stuff they don't need,  They would have one item at a great price but you couldn't get it unless you ordered additional overpriced stuff you don't need and had it delivered days later, so you were not missing out on anything by "not having it available" since I who technically had it available could never purchase any Amazon Fresh products.  it was a gimmick.

I don't know anything about Walmart.  I never got the few orders I made right, so I don't shop there.