Trusted Contributor

Re: Amazon Experience- maybe you should know........

I've been deleting all of the ads that are coming into my email for Cyber Monday.  And, I agree, Amazon is famous for fictitious pricing.  You have to be an informed shopper.

I also saw the same thing happen here on QVC, last year on Black Friday.  I had been debating about buying something and thought I'd wait for the Black Friday sale.  THE PRICE WENT UP.

Unless it's something I've been keeping my eye on, and am familiar with the prices, I won't even look at the Black Friday or Cyber Monday online offers.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

It also pays to check prices on 3rd party sellers' own websites. I got a great down winter coat substantially cheaper by ordering directly instead of going through Amazon.  Amazons cost was $228, while the same seller's site had it for $178.  Quite a savings.  I don't know if this happens often but I think it is worth looking into.

Honored Contributor

@only shops online wrote:

I've been deleting all of the ads that are coming into my email for Cyber Monday.  And, I agree, Amazon is famous for fictitious pricing.  You have to be an informed shopper.

I also saw the same thing happen here on QVC, last year on Black Friday.  I had been debating about buying something and thought I'd wait for the Black Friday sale.  THE PRICE WENT UP.

Unless it's something I've been keeping my eye on, and am familiar with the prices, I won't even look at the Black Friday or Cyber Monday online offers.

Agree!

Honored Contributor

They do it all the time and are open about it.  They're not the only ones, either.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Respected Contributor

....I believe they call it putting things on sale.  I'm pretty sure all retailers do it.  They mark something down drastically for a limited time and then it goes back to the higher price.  Last week, I believe it was the day before Thanksgiving, Amazon had Kindle Fire tables (7 inch) on sale for $34.99.  They stated the tablets would be in on 12/7.  I bought two.  Those same tablets were $69 (or maybe $59) yesterday.  A few weeks ago Amazon was selling them for $2 for $100.  It's just that time of the year.....

Honored Contributor

Oh please don't just blame Amazon for this practice. It was on the news that ALL retailers raise their prices and offer a discount for these high shopping days. Am I the only one that watches the news? Woman Happy

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@CouponQueen wrote:

Amazon is here to stay lol..they are opening new centers.. using new technology to get orders filled, using robots etc.

I buy items that I would in my local store but it is often a couple bucks cheaper and delivered to my door for free within two-days. Can't beat it.

I bought new Kindles for my grandchildren..they went on sale $15 cheaper a week later..they refunded my money and sent me a text..

I bought a new upgraded Voice Fire Stick when they were released..it was back ordered and they gave me $10 credit off the item..and I received it November. it went on sale during the holiday sale for $15 off and they refunded the money..again a text to my phone..

They always stand my their items and if sellers mess up they take the hit. .Their returns on the best..as soon as it is scanned by UPS the money is refunded..again I have text alerts..

Like any store - prices vary ..they are upfront about it..as soon as you log into your account you receive "notice of changes .." to items in your basket..or list..so they are not trying to be deceitful..

I know! 

People are acting like how DARE a retailer change prices!

They should have one set price, and it should never, ever change.

Except, one company did try that, and their business went down.

Why?

Because people like feeling like they are getting a deal.

So, good luck in finding a retailer whose prices never, ever change.

We are not talking about a retailer, specifically Amazon, changing prices.  Anyone who shops Amazon knows the prices go up and down all the time.  We are talking about raising a price on an item the day it is to go on sale for a percentage off.

Big difference.

Respected Contributor

@violann wrote:

I shop Amazon quite a bit, and so I do know that prices can fluctuate from day to day.

LAST NIGHT- I saw an item on Amazon that was priced at $99.99.

THIS MORNING- same item is priced at $129.99 with a Cyber Monday DISCOUNT of $30.

Boo-hiss!

Edies to add- I'm NOT buying.

You should know ALL companies do this........this is the start of the xmas shopping season...........which is why I buy all my xmas gifts BEFORE Thanksgivng, I want to pay the lower prices and not the inflated xmas shoping price.......prices go up and will continue to go up..........after xmas they drop back down..........................................raven

We're not in Kansas anymore ToTo
Esteemed Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

@CouponQueen wrote:

Amazon is here to stay lol..they are opening new centers.. using new technology to get orders filled, using robots etc.

I buy items that I would in my local store but it is often a couple bucks cheaper and delivered to my door for free within two-days. Can't beat it.

I bought new Kindles for my grandchildren..they went on sale $15 cheaper a week later..they refunded my money and sent me a text..

I bought a new upgraded Voice Fire Stick when they were released..it was back ordered and they gave me $10 credit off the item..and I received it November. it went on sale during the holiday sale for $15 off and they refunded the money..again a text to my phone..

They always stand my their items and if sellers mess up they take the hit. .Their returns on the best..as soon as it is scanned by UPS the money is refunded..again I have text alerts..

Like any store - prices vary ..they are upfront about it..as soon as you log into your account you receive "notice of changes .." to items in your basket..or list..so they are not trying to be deceitful..

I know! 

People are acting like how DARE a retailer change prices!

They should have one set price, and it should never, ever change.

Except, one company did try that, and their business went down.

Why?

Because people like feeling like they are getting a deal.

So, good luck in finding a retailer whose prices never, ever change.

We are not talking about a retailer, specifically Amazon, changing prices.  Anyone who shops Amazon knows the prices go up and down all the time.  We are talking about raising a price on an item the day it is to go on sale for a percentage off.

Big difference.

So?

Find a retailer that doesn't do that, and shop with them.

Good luck.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Vivian Florimond wrote:

My husband has a PhD in accounting and finance and taught those subjects for many years. He is convinced that Amazon will one day face some trouble for their creative accounting practices.

I don't understand this at all. What accounting practices? These are selling techniques and all stores do that. They mark up items when they are about to have a 30% off sale and then when you buy it, you think you are getting a deal at 30% but really only getting the price it should have been before the markup, Kohls does this when offering % off sales and Kohls cash. I mean who really would pay $50 for a pair of fleece pajamas and then when the sales starts get them for 19.99 and think they are getting a deal? They most likely are only worth $5 to begin with but they artifically inflate the price so you think you're getting a good sale.

they all do it. I only buy when items are on clearance rack of 50% or more off or after season, then at least I thinkI'm paying close to what their cost really is (and they still make a profit. 

I'm done with P.C. Just say what you mean and mean what you say. It's easier.