Esteemed Contributor

Re: Amazon Experience- maybe you should know........

@CouponQueen wrote:

Love Amazon but you need to watch as their prices fluctuate. Many are 3rd party sellers and often Amazon fills them..

I know what each item goes for..and watch..

Just like sales in stores - you need to know and watch your prices.

I love Amazon..know what I am going to spend..love the 2-day Prime Shipping and their CS is the best.

Same here, @CouponQueen. Love everything about Amazon. Most of us work hard for our money, and need to learn how to shop. With the Internet, you're seldom caught in retail games. 

Honored Contributor

I shop Amazon ALL THE TIME, but I am aware of their pricing tendencies, and gimmicks.  All on line retailers have something up their sleeves on Cyber MOnday; Amazon included.

Buyer beware!

Respected Contributor

Amazon is here to stay lol..they are opening new centers.. using new technology to get orders filled, using robots etc.

I buy items that I would in my local store but it is often a couple bucks cheaper and delivered to my door for free within two-days. Can't beat it.

I bought new Kindles for my grandchildren..they went on sale $15 cheaper a week later..they refunded my money and sent me a text..

I bought a new upgraded Voice Fire Stick when they were released..it was back ordered and they gave me $10 credit off the item..and I received it November. it went on sale during the holiday sale for $15 off and they refunded the money..again a text to my phone..

They always stand my their items and if sellers mess up they take the hit. .Their returns on the best..as soon as it is scanned by UPS the money is refunded..again I have text alerts..

Like any store - prices vary ..they are upfront about it..as soon as you log into your account you receive "notice of changes .." to items in your basket..or list..so they are not trying to be deceitful..

Esteemed Contributor

@CouponQueen wrote:

Amazon is here to stay lol..they are opening new centers.. using new technology to get orders filled, using robots etc.

I buy items that I would in my local store but it is often a couple bucks cheaper and delivered to my door for free within two-days. Can't beat it.

I bought new Kindles for my grandchildren..they went on sale $15 cheaper a week later..they refunded my money and sent me a text..

I bought a new upgraded Voice Fire Stick when they were released..it was back ordered and they gave me $10 credit off the item..and I received it November. it went on sale during the holiday sale for $15 off and they refunded the money..again a text to my phone..

They always stand my their items and if sellers mess up they take the hit. .Their returns on the best..as soon as it is scanned by UPS the money is refunded..again I have text alerts..

Like any store - prices vary ..they are upfront about it..as soon as you log into your account you receive "notice of changes .." to items in your basket..or list..so they are not trying to be deceitful..

I know! 

People are acting like how DARE a retailer change prices!

They should have one set price, and it should never, ever change.

Except, one company did try that, and their business went down.

Why?

Because people like feeling like they are getting a deal.

So, good luck in finding a retailer whose prices never, ever change.

Honored Contributor

@Vivian Florimond wrote:

My husband has a PhD in accounting and finance and taught those subjects for many years. He is convinced that Amazon will one day face some trouble for their creative accounting practices.

How does he know what their accounting practices are? I tend to doubt that Bezo's is doctoring the books. Raising and lowering your prices isn't illegal. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

Another thing we have noticed, long before Black Friday, is some online sites for major retailers will offer different prices for different areas of the country. We discovered it by accident. If you changed the local store to another location, we got a cheaper price. Ordered and used our shipping address and it went through just fine. Weird. Not sure if it's related to computer glitches or not. Doubt it, they change prices all the time. 

Respected Contributor

2 weeks ago Macy's had a sale buy one hand bag that was discounted and get another free. I was looking for a bag for my DD. Well I ended up finding a Coach bag and a Ralph Lauren Bag on this sale page. So I put the two in which if they were not on sale would have cost $600.00. I proceeded to click my order and the one bag did not come off the order as it should so I called Customer Service. The girl who I spoke with tried it and it did not work. So she had me purchase both bags and then she took the one off. I also had a 15% coupon for a one time only and she applied that as well. I ended up paying $131.00 for the two bags!

Now if you go to the site and look up the bags they are both showing in the smaller versions  "on sale"  for $250.00. So my DD laughs and said I broke Macy's. The larger versions that I purchased are no longer even on their site.

Trusted Contributor

I check my Wish List on a daily basis, and it's pretty wild how prices fluctuate so greatly in such a short period of time.  I didn't notice anything major today, but I did purchase the Echo, as it was on sale since Friday.

Valued Contributor

Carol08 wrote:

A similar thing happened to me. I put an item in my Amazon shopping cart, but didn't check out.  The next day, the price increased by $10.  I deleted the item from my cart.  Two days later, the price dropped by $10 - to the original price.  I never checked out, because I felt these were deceptive tactics by Amazon.

Some of my friends have had the same experience with Amazon. They are losing customers with their deceptive practices.

I'm not defending Amazon's pricing policy, I have no dog in that fight, but I will say that plenty of outside vendors sell through Amazon so it's possible it was a vendor who increased the price.  I guess it's something we should all pay attention to. 

Maria

Honored Contributor

And thus is the holiday shopping experience. I think many retailers mark it up so they can put it on sale... This is why I seek a good price for what I want to buy and try not to get hoodwinked into the sale frenzy mentality.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...