Honored Contributor

Amazon Echo--Strange Thing Happened

I was talking on the phone the other day and sitting by my Amazon Echo.  All of a sudden Alexa repeated what I had said IN MY VOICE.  It was such a shock.  The person I was talking with thought it was an echo on her end, but it was Alexa.  I don't understand how that happened.

I asked Alexa one time if she was always listening.  She said she only listens after I say the trigger word.  Maybe she thought I said Alexa, but to repeat in my own voice I don't understand.  Has this happened to anyone else?

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Re: Amazon Echo--Strange Thing Happened

NOPE!  Never happens to me.

My wake word is NOT Alexa.  It's voice is Samual L. Jackson's "uncensored."  My DOT has never called me a _________er eitiher. whistling.gif

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

I get weird responses from Alexa sometimes. Creeps me out. I think it records your voice. The other night DH was so frustrated with not getting the response he wanted I heard him say “ just shut up, Alexa!” Lol
Esteemed Contributor

Don't have one - Won't have one.......but better keep HER far away from other electronic devices + credit cards + bank loan phone numbers. etc.

Honored Contributor

Love her have several throughout the apt.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NickNack 

It is collecting and remembering your personal information every time you access Alexa.

That data harvesting is permanently stored in their Cloud Server.

Honored Contributor

My Echo occasionally, without explanation, blurts out strange comments than can be quite funny.  I just consider her to be charmingly quirky.  She's part of the family, such as it is.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I have 2 Echo shows and it's also on my phone and Fire Tablet.

Other than spontaneously playing the Sports Center Theme or "hmmm I don't know that one" for no apparent reason, I've never had it repeat something back to me.

That would creep me out.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

I have CNBC on right now and Tyler Matheson just asked Alexa something and my unit beeped that beep that says "I have no idea what you're asking."

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Our Alexa is stupid IMO. She cannot answer squat. The only thing she is good for is turning the ac or heat up or down while in bed.

The only other thing she is good at is so I can drop in on the living room after I get in bed & DH is still passed out in his recliner. I have to drop in & yell Wake Up. LOL!!!

My girlfriend's DH unplugged his because he does not like others eavesdropping on him.