Honored Contributor

Re: Amazon Echo--Strange Thing Happened

We turned them all off and unpluged them after a few incidents.  

Respected Contributor

Do not use.  Will never use.

We value our privacy and cyber-security!

Honored Contributor

OMG some people really think that they are being spyed on

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had a strange incident with the Google Assistant on my phone, who I have turned OFF.....An Emergency Weather Alert came on the other day alerting that a severe thunder storm was on its way....and it mentioned it was approaching New Bruanfels, Texas....And out of the blue the Google Assistant comes on and gives me the history of the small town of New Braunfels, I checked to make sure the voice was turned off and it was....PRETTY CREEPY!!!

My sister had a weird incident, her Alexa was another room, and she was having a conversation with her friends in the living room, and Alexa piped up and joined in the conversation on prescription drugs.....  That was the last draw with Alexa eavesdropping she shut her off FOR GOOD!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

@I am still oxox 

https://www.consumerwatchdog.org/privacy-technology/how-google-and-amazon-are-spying-you

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

OMG- recording how one flushes a toilet???

Y'all have fun. 

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

@I am still oxox You do understand that they are listening, recording, and responding to things they perceive to be comands of yours or questions you are asking them, and on and on don't you?

You do know they can be accessed by hackers from other countries who can get a lot of personal information that way don't you?  

Ours made a couple on inquiries of her own and out came the plugs.  They are in a box somewhere in the attic where they remain

Esteemed Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

They have basically admitted to it, although "spying" is not the term they use.  They just collect all your data to improve.   And listen to make Alexa better.  They have state their reasons in the many lawsuits that have been filed against them.  

Super Contributor

mom starts whispering to her son.  Son asks, "mom, why are you whispering".  She tells him CIA, Homeland..everyone is listening"

He laughs, mom laughs, Alexa laughs....

Honored Contributor

We have one and it is still plugged in but asking it anything is an effort in futility.  Rarely do we get anything other than "hmmm.  I don't know that one."

However, we too have beein the room when all of a sudden Alexa blurts out something really weird.