Honored Contributor

Re: Amazon Echo--Strange Thing Happened

@Sooner 

Guess I feel luck then, we have had Alexa since the start of the year and no issues like that what so ever. Maybe I am gulliable 

@Sooner wrote:

@I am still oxox wrote:

OMG some people really think that they are being spyed on

@I am still oxox You do understand that they are listening, recording, and responding to things they perceive to be comands of yours or questions you are asking them, and on and on don't you?

You do know they can be accessed by hackers from other countries who can get a lot of personal information that way don't you?  

Ours made a couple on inquiries of her own and out came the plugs.  They are in a box somewhere in the attic where they remain

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox One of my family members worked in high level security.  It is amazing what we don't know. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I can't answer your question about Alexa, @Nicknack, but I have a new state of the art cell phone (acquired around Christmas last year). 

And one recent AM when I was chatting with my cat, I noticed that the phone was asking me:  "Do you want me to take dictation?"  Appalling that my phone, unprompted, is listening to my conversations with my cat. 

Yet  it's good to have this powerful electronic backup in these bad times, too.  

Honored Contributor

@Burnsite wrote:

I can't answer your question about Alexa, @Nicknack, but I have a new state of the art cell phone (acquired around Christmas last year). 

And one recent AM when I was chatting with my cat, I noticed that the phone was asking me:  "Do you want me to take dictation?"  Appalling that my phone, unprompted, is listening to my conversations with my cat. 

@Burnsite Maybe the cat is a security risk?  Have a background check run on him. 

Honored Contributor

@Burnsite wrote:

That's very strange @Burnsite .  Is it an iPhone?  I have an iPhone 11 and all you have to do is say "Hey Siri" and she will answer.  Maybe that's what the phone thought you said to your cat.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I never under stood the need or the draw for this device.

Perhaps if you are a paraplegic or something it would be helpful....other wise it is just a toy that is recording your privacy.  

Valued Contributor

Those creepy Alexa/Echo whatever things ALWAYS are listening. How else would they hear the "trigger word". NO WAY would I put one of those things in my house. It's bad enough I have a smart phone. Dont get me started on those!!!
Trusted Contributor

Everything is listening in on you.  Smart tv's, smart phones, etc.

Trusted Contributor

@NickNack   There is a way that Echo will say something in your voice.  If you say Alexa ...or Echo or whatever the name you have set for her then say ...announce...then say your announcement...she will repeat it in your voice...

We have one in the house and one in the garage/man cave....DH has speakers hooked up to his...uses it for music...anyway if I want to tell him something ...I say Alexa announce...it's dinner....then you hear a little short tone and she will repeat ...its dinner ...on both devices in my voice...

Maybe somehow she heard what she thought was her name and announce...then repeated what you said....

Just a thought..DW

Honored Contributor

@dancingwoman wrote:

@NickNack   There is a way that Echo will say something in your voice.  If you say Alexa ...or Echo or whatever the name you have set for her then say ...announce...then say your announcement...she will repeat it in your voice...

We have one in the house and one in the garage/man cave....DH has speakers hooked up to his...uses it for music...anyway if I want to tell him something ...I say Alexa announce...it's dinner....then you hear a little short tone and she will repeat ...its dinner ...on both devices in my voice...

Maybe somehow she heard what she thought was her name and announce...then repeated what you said....

Just a thought..DW

Thank you @dancingwoman !  That has to be what happened!

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau