Honored Contributor

Re: Amazon Continues to Impress Me

I love those guys!  I get nice cashmere scarves I can't find here (I freeze), music, books, and products.  A lot of times I can find an item that has sold out every where else.

Esteemed Contributor

I've always sung the praises of Amazon until recently.  I purchased some things for work with the intent of getting reimbursed.  The bookkeeper did not want to do business with Amazon, but I persisted that I could get almost twice the amount of products going through Amazon than going through other retailers.  The total was over $1000 and to get reimbursed I was told I had to submit packing slips and initial that I received the items.  

It took almost two months to receive all the items in the order because they kept switching things to back order.  Four boxes did not contain packing slips.  I called to request packing slips, but they refused.  I kept getting transferred to people outside the U.S. who spoke broken English.  I printed the screen from my account that listed the items as delivered, but my bookkeeper repeatedly reminded me that this was not what we agreed to do when she approved the order.  How was I supposed to know there wouldn't be a packing slip in half the boxes?  The people at Amazon said it depended on which warehouse shipped the items.

Another issue was Sunday deliveries.  When I placed the order, I established a new shipping address and marked special delivery instructions telling them NOT to deliver on weekends because no one would be there to accept the packages.  On a Sunday afternoon, I received an email stating that a box was delivered--just left on the sidewalk of a public school.  I called Amazon and again spoke to people outside the U.S. who spoke broken English, and they said I didn't put special delivery instructions in when I placed the order.  I am positive that I did, but I asked them to make sure the rest of the shipments weren't delivered on weekends.  They assured me I wouldn't get any other weekend deliveries, but three weeks later two more boxes were delivered on a Sunday. 

Another issue had to do with the billing.  When I placed the order, I am positive that I entered a new credit card for billing--one I had never used when placing Amazon orders.  I remember typing in the numbers and entering the expiration date.  After two boxes had shipped, I received an email from Amazon stating there was a problem with my credit card.  Apparently, they were trying to bill an old credit card that I used several years ago and had already expired.  I am positive I didn't use that card when placing this order, but the customer service reps outside the U.S. are positive that I did! 

What a pain that order was!  I won't be volunteering to place any other orders from them for my co-workers and me.

Respected Contributor

Here's a little tip I hope some find useful.  Many things I will order on a Friday because with their 2 day shipping policy and the fact that someone is always at home on a Sunday, USPS delivers it to us without fail.  USPS has a smaller load to deliver that day and has no flat pieces to get lost or misdelivered.  It seems that our mailman can't do both functions at the same time correctly so this way we are taking that burden off of him.  Woman Very Happy

Valued Contributor

I dropped my prime membership after about 3-4 years.  I kept reading more and more reviews online by people that didn't purchase the item. Also questioned the supplier of the item....as mentioned by a previous poster..lots of "sellers" from dubious markets.  And I never watched the videos that were free. I did like the Amazon Pantry feature. 

But now I spend less money, do with a bit less, and often will try to find an item locally. 

Honored Contributor

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

@pattypeep wrote:

I returned something for the first time to Amazon that was defective. I knew I would get a refund when they received the product back; however, lo and behold, they must have received notification of my return mailing from the info on their return label, and that same night I received an email that my account had already been credited back. All in one day. Wow and wow.

@pattypeep - Question - I have wondered how you return items to Amazon when they don't provide you with any paperwork (receipt) when they ship you an item.  Just wondering how you return an item without that?

@hoosieroriginal  I'm not twopeas but can answer your question.  To return something you just go into your orders on Amazon's website.  It will say "Return or Replace Items."  You click on that and follow the instructions.  It will give you a bar code to put in with your order and an address label.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@pattypeep wrote:

I returned something for the first time to Amazon that was defective. I knew I would get a refund when they received the product back; however, lo and behold, they must have received notification of my return mailing from the info on their return label, and that same night I received an email that my account had already been credited back. All in one day. Wow and wow.

That happened to me recently too.  I returning something, and within 20 minutes of UPS picking up and scanning the package, I had an e-mail from Amazon saying my account had been credited.  That was a pleasant surprise! 

I shop a lot more on Amazon Prime then QVC.  Can't beat their delivery times, and now same day delivery in my area.

Esteemed Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

Because I charge everything and never run a balance, I don't care nearly as much about speed on returns.    Also, the last online return I made was over a year back.  It's just not one of my issues.

It's not about the money for me, it's knowing that I am not going to have to keep checking to see if my account has been credited yet.  I like the peace of mind knowing the transaction is complete and I can forget about it.

Respected Contributor

@Nicknack wrote:

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

@pattypeep wrote:

@pattypeep - Question - I have wondered how you return items to Amazon when they don't provide you with any paperwork (receipt) when they ship you an item.  Just wondering how you return an item without that?

@hoosieroriginal  I'm not twopeas but can answer your question.  To return something you just go into your orders on Amazon's website.  It will say "Return or Replace Items."  You click on that and follow the instructions.  It will give you a bar code to put in with your order and an address label.

@NickNack - Thanks - I thought it strange that the items didn't come with an invoice. 

Honored Contributor

I love Amazon too. They have great customer service and usually the best prices on stuff I want and need.

Esteemed Contributor

@Caligurll wrote:

@millieshops wrote:

Because I charge everything and never run a balance, I don't care nearly as much about speed on returns.    Also, the last online return I made was over a year back.  It's just not one of my issues.

It's not about the money for me, it's knowing that I am not going to have to keep checking to see if my account has been credited yet.  I like the peace of mind knowing the transaction is complete and I can forget about it.

@Caligurll: Same here. I just like the fact that it's taken care of.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein