Honored Contributor

Re: Amazon Acquisition of Evine Live

Hmm interesting, hope he is able to keep Evine strong. I do worry though that Amazon is becoming so huge...smaller business will not survive.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Honored Contributor

I thought it was a bit amusing that was one venture Amazon  tried that failed, their own version of TV shopping that flopped. So I can see them acquiring a channel that already has the ground work in place.....and after all their CEO is out to conquer the entire retail world......So I wonder if he still plans to go into banking like he previously hinted at............

As you can tell Im not a fan of Amazon.......

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

I thought it was a bit amusing that was one venture Amazon  tried that failed, their own version of TV shopping that flopped. So I can see them acquiring a channel that already has the ground work in place.....and after all their CEO is out to conquer the entire retail world......So I wonder if he still plans to go into banking like he previously hinted at............

Yes I have heard Amazon is going into health insurance and banking. I am all for business growing but when one company has its fingers in everything it becomes worrisome to me when they can work deals a smaller company can not and will have a much harder time competing.

Spoiler
Woman Frustrated

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@croemer wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

Yes I have heard Amazon is going into health insurance and banking. I am all for business growing but when one company has its fingers in everything it becomes worrisome to me when they can work deals a smaller company can not and will have a much harder time competing.

Spoiler
Woman Frustrated

@croemer

I agree, I want businesses to be successful and prosper that includes the  CEO's and most important employees....But I get a bit perturbed when Amazon gobbles up the competition thus limiting our choices in the free market, and thus also raising prices because if they eliminate the competition where else will we be able to go.....They have too many irons in the fire and their ultimate goal is a tad disturbing....

One business writer compared it to the episode of the original Star Trek series of "the planet gobbler".....A machine built by geniuses that apparently got it's mission mixed up and it's mission was changed to destroy every planet out there.....To me an apt description of Amazon........ 

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Spurt wrote:

@croemer wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

Spoiler
Woman Frustrated

@croemer

I agree, I want businesses to be successful and prosper that includes the  CEO's and most important employees....But I get a bit perturbed when Amazon gobbles up the competition thus limiting our choices in the free market, and thus also raising prices because it they eliminate the competition where else will we be able to go.....They have too many irons in the fire and their ultimate goal is a tad disturbing....

One business writer compared it to the episode of the original Star Trek series of "the planet gobbler".....A machine built by geniuses that apparently got it's mission mixed up and it's mission was changed to destroy every planet out there.....To me an apt description of Amazon........ 

Hi there @Spurt agreed, when one company gobbles up its competition that is not good for the consumer...less choices on where we can buy...means we are at a disadvantage.

Honored Contributor

@croemer wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@croemer wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

Spoiler
Woman Frustrated

@croemer

I agree, I want businesses to be successful and prosper that includes the  CEO's and most important employees....But I get a bit perturbed when Amazon gobbles up the competition thus limiting our choices in the free market, and thus also raising prices because it they eliminate the competition where else will we be able to go.....They have too many irons in the fire and their ultimate goal is a tad disturbing....

Hi there @Spurt agreed, when one company gobbles up its competition that is not good for the consumer...less choices on where we can buy...means we are at a disadvantage.

We've reached a point where some people start companies, not intending them to be successful, but intending for them to get gobbled up. The guys behind jet.com built it for that purpose. They'd sold their earlier company Quidsi to Amazon for $545 million, then got $550 million in venture capitol to start Jet. They then sold Jet, despite it losing millions of dollars, to Walmart for $3 billion. They had no intention to run the company longterm and make it profitable. They built the company to be absorbed by a bigger company. It worked. They made a very nice profit on the deal.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Call me when Amazon announces that bought Evine.  Until that happens, there's nothing to talk about.

I agree.  Pure speculation, nothing more.

Honored Contributor

Wish amazon would buy Q. Stuff would be at your door by the time you got up from the computer LOL   No more long processing times and shp from around the world wait times.

Be butt kicking time up in here. LOL

Super Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

Call me when Amazon announces that bought Evine.  Until that happens, there's nothing to talk about.

Then why even reply with a snarky, non-contributing post.  Just move on.

Esteemed Contributor

https://www.retaildive.com/news/amazon-reportedly-eyeing-qvc-rival-evine-live/522127/

Retail Dive has an interesting take on this proposed merger and it has to do with Amazon trying to appeal to the baby boomer market with money to spend.