Trusted Contributor

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/ann-lovett-death-of-a-strong-kick-ass-girl-1.342979...

This story has me in tears. I came across it because I unknowingly subscribed to a podcast called "The Women's Podcast" from Ireland and I decided to scroll through some past shows. This one caught my eye (which are now filled with tears). No one woman should go through what she did. 

A friend in need is a friend indeed.
Esteemed Contributor

Sad story!! It’s a little strange that all these years later people are reluctant to talk about it & that the original report was never released!! Makes me wonder who the father of that baby was.It may have been an adult or someone respected in the community!!

Respected Contributor

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

Sad story!! It’s a little strange that all these years later people are reluctant to talk about it & that the original report was never released!! Makes me wonder who the father of that baby was.It may have been an adult or someone respected in the community!!

It says her 'boyfriend' was 7+ years older than she was. If she was 15, she was underage. Her parents tried to discourage the pair, but if she was underage and he was 22+, wouldn't have been her 'boyfriend', he would have been her adult rapist. Or it could have been someone else.

It also reads like she didn't know she was pregnant until it was too late. I'm guessing that in rural, Catholic Ireland, they did not have sex education in schools, which may have been helpful for her. Abortion was illegal and sex out of wedlock came with a huge stigma. They talk about how they had services to help but she never asked about them, but that's no surprise with the amount of shame and guilt that would come with her situation.

In truth, no one was looking out for her.

Esteemed Contributor

@Alison Wonderland  I know about the older boyfriend but somehow I don’t think it was him.I don’t think he would have been protected.I think if it were him the story would have come out.I think someone much bigger than him was being protected . Her father died a few years later & her younger sister committed suicide. I feel something deeper is going on here!! JMO

Trusted Contributor

I've read some very dark theories. It deals with sexual abuse and may explain why her sister decided to take her life. Thank you all for your comments.

A friend in need is a friend indeed.