Respected Contributor

Amazon Account Hacked Again

[ Edited ]

Make sure you check your junk mail and archived orders everyday at Amazon.  My account has been hacked into 2 times since August.  Yes, I did everything I could to stop this from happening again.  I used to work in the computer industry and know what not to do.  The first time it took 2 months to clear it up and the second time 3 days.  I also discovered you don’t have to talk to a different country, but can ask for someone in the US.  I am never hacked into in other store accounts.  Something is seriously wrong with Amazon.  I told my husband I want to get rid of it.  

My son’s boss was hacked the same day that I was. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Amazon Account Hacked Again

2 factor authentication?

leave your CCard info off the site until you want to buy?

that is a pain in the neck 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had a CC hacked from Amazon and it wasn't saved on my account either, it was entered when I placed an order directly from Amazon and NOT a 3rd party vendor.  Amazon was only purchase made on that card too. Thankfully I notificed the fraudulent purchase and notified my credit card company quickly and they took care of it, closed card and issued new one.......

I found an article that discussed how little time and effort Amazon devotes to security and keeping customer info safe...I guess they are too busy trying to conquer the world.  I canceled my account with Amazon. 

PLEASE be deligent and double check orders and credit cards and bank statements, especially this time of year...One person even talked about a hacker getting through 2 step verification process

https://getlogdog.com/blogdog/amazon-account-hacked/

https://jeffreyfritz.com/2018/01/my-amazon-account-was-hacked-and-how-i-made-it-more-secure/

From a IT Blog

Hi All,

Woke up at 9:30am to (2) text messages for two-step notification from Amazon at 5:00am.

Went to check my account, password changed. Checked e-mail, 5:00am from Amazon saying my password was changed.

Luckily got it reset and back in.

How does this happen? I thought cell phone access codes were the last line of defense.

Jeff

I am not “exactly” sure, but you must remember that your account is primarily based on the login to Amazon.

If you select that you forgot your password, it would not go through the two-factor authentication.

What that also tells me is that your login email address is known.

I suggest that you create a new email address that is not published on a website or any other place and change the email address for that account to the new email address. That will at least prevent further issues with the old password.

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Trusted Contributor

This happened to me a couple of weeks ago. Someone got into my account, changed my password and my email address. I didn't get any notification that my email was changed like I sould have. Didn't notice until I got a notification for a review "I" placed for an item I never bought. They didn't buy anything, they were just writing about 100 reviews.

Respected Contributor

@jackthebear wrote:

2 factor authentication?

leave your CCard info off the site until you want to buy?

that is a pain in the neck 

2 reps at Amazon told me that two factor authentication is only when you call to order.  That’s ridiculous.  I like your idea of leaving  my credit card off until I order, but the first time they hacked into my account they opened an Amazon Store credit card.  That was a hassle to get rid of.  And the idiots had the expensive items sent to my house. 

Super Contributor

This is what happened to me on my chrombook,today i got a email in junk telling me that they got into my laptop when i went to a p*orn site and they recorded me there....Ok i never go to those sites and have a piece of cloth tape over my camera anyway so i knew that part was not true they demanded 986$ and if i didnt pay they would send the video to all my contacts which they said they had!.... They did give me a password that i have stored in my laptop so i knew they must have got access....Then i remembered a week or so ago i was searching online for something and when i clicked on it it took me somewhere else and there was a pic of a girl that had clothes on but it suggested to click further which i didnt i just x out of it..I had NO clue this happened until the email.This is a first for me.

I right away found on line how to remove spyware and reset my chrombook then went  to change my passwords at all sites....Think i will remove them all from my laptop just to be safe..I dont save bank or email

To the gal who said they left reviews on amazon i wonder if this is how they got access?..I think doing a extension removal periodically is wise nowdays.