Esteemed Contributor

WOW, WALMART EMPLOYEE TAKES HER JOB TOO SERIOUSLY

[ Edited ]

Every Walmart has one person at each exit who scans the receipts as we leave the store.  Actually, most of them don't, we hold our receipt out as we leave the store and the person nods their head and we contiue on our way.  Except for one young female employee.  I have noticed her several times stopping shoppers and actually going through their bags and checking items against the receipt.  Well, a couple of weeks ago my daughter and I each had our own wagon and headed out the exit where she was stationed.  She stopped my daughter, another shopper and me, taking our receipts.

Now I suffer from back, sciatic and hip pain and the last thing I wanted to do was to stand there while she started going through the bags.  She was bent over my daughter's cart and I said I was in a lot of pain and can't stand there, she didn't look up, didn't turn her head, just continued what she was doing, reached out her left arm and handed me my receipt.  I left the store and looked back in and she was still busy checking my daughter's purchases while the other man was impatiently standing there while she had his receipt in her hand. 

Now I don't know if this is something she is supposed to be doing since no other employee has ever done that to either of us, nor have I seen it done to other shoppers except for her.  I find it to be insulting, and embarrassing to say the least and I certainly would not appreciate someone opening my bags and going through the purchases I just paid for.  My daughter and I talked it over and decided we are going to speak to the store manager to find out if what she is doing is indeed her job or is she getting carried away.  By the way, my daughter had a Pepsi bottle laying in the cart and it wasn't in a bag and the employee insisted on going through the entire receipt looking for the $1.00 charge which of course was there, but she wasn't going to stop until she found it.  Have any of you who shop at a Walmart store experienced this?

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Trusted Contributor

Re: WOW, WALMART EMPLOYEE TAKES HER JOB TOO SERIOUSLY

If you have a complaint, call Walmart.  Maybe she was doing what she was told to do.

Esteemed Contributor

@Equuleus wrote:

If you have a complaint, call Walmart.  Maybe she was doing what she was told to do.

As I mentioned, my daughter and I are going to speak to the store manager to find out it if she is supposed to do what she is doing or is she getting carried away.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sounds as if she's working hard doing her job.   She has to stand on her feet all day for probably just at or over minimum wage, and has to deal with customers who don't want their packages checked.  She probably doesn't look people in the eye anymore after being snapped at too many times.  It sounds like a thankless job. She could be a single parent, and in any event must need the money to do that job. 

I would put yourself in her place.

Yes, I have been to retailers where they check you wagon against the receipts as you leaving.  I try to be patient. 

Do the math.
Honored Contributor

I have never been in a Wal-Mart that checks your receipt.

They have a Door Greeter here that's suppose to say Hello & Thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart. Most here just stand around like they are in La La Land & don't say a word.

Trusted Contributor

people shoplift like crazy that;'s why they have to check.  makes me mad but i do understand

Esteemed Contributor

I get your frustration @Lindsays Grandma.  My Walmart has 1 person who does this as well.  Most of the bag checkers (or whatever they're called) just let me pass or do a super quick check, but there is one woman who really examines my stuff.  

Quite frankly, I think she does it on purpose to be annoying or because it gives her a sense of power.  I've seen her let shady looking characters walk out of the store with barely a glance, and yet she'll examine my stuff like I'm trying to steal something.  One time I was leaving with a 35 lb. bag of dog food and nothing else in my cart.  The dog food was not in a bag because it was so big.  As I was leaving the store, she ran after me to see if I had a receipt.  I showed her the receipt and asked her if she really thought I would boldly just leisurely stroll out of the store with a big bag of unpaid for dog food!

She likes feeling "superior" to certain people, of which I am one.  

Trusted Contributor

it amkes me mad that i have to prove thati paid for the itmes, but far too many people shoplft and that is why they check the rec.

Esteemed Contributor

If this employee is near the doors, her store manager probably placed her there. It's the holiday season and thefts are rampant. Imagine she's part of WalMart's Security Team and may be working undercover . . . ready to sprit out of the store in a moment's notice. Statistically, many of the thefts are worn out of the stores and often by middle-class people who are able to afford the items stolen. Don't understand it, but it's epidemic. Give the employee a break.

I'm sorry you're unable to stand while she checks your packages. Do they have carts for you to use in their store? If not, could you have the manager introduce you to that employee and explain your limitations? IDK if he/she will be able to work with your health issues or not. 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma wrote:

Every Walmart has one person at each exit who scans the receipts as we leave the store.  Actually, most of them don't, we hold our receipt out as we leave the store and the person nods their head and we contiue on our way.  Except for one young female employee.  I have noticed her several times stopping shoppers and actually going through their bags and checking items against the receipt.  Well, a couple of weeks ago my daughter and I each had our own wagon and headed out the exit where she was stationed.  She stopped my daughter, another shopper and me, taking our receipts.

Now I suffer from back, sciatic and hip pain and the last thing I wanted to do was to stand there while she started going through the bags.  She was bent over my daughter's cart and I said I was in a lot of pain and can't stand there, she didn't look up, didn't turn her head, just continued what she was doing, reached out her left arm and handed me my receipt.  I left the store and looked back in and she was still busy checking my daughter's purchases while the other man was impatiently standing there while she had his receipt in her hand. 

Now I don't know if this is something she is supposed to be doing since no other employee has ever done that to either of us, nor have I seen it done to other shoppers except for her.  I find it to be insulting, and embarrassing to say the least and I certainly would not appreciate someone opening my bags and going through the purchases I just paid for.  My daughter and I talked it over and decided we are going to speak to the store manager to find out if what she is doing is indeed her job or is she getting carried away.  By the way, my daughter had a Pepsi bottle laying in the cart and it wasn't in a bag and the employee insisted on going through the entire receipt looking for the $1.00 charge which of course was there, but she wasn't going to stop until she found it.  Have any of you who shop at a Walmart store experienced this?

@Lindsays Grandma  I shop at Walmart online, free shipping, and I receive most things in two days, havn't been to a Walmart store in ages, and I would have been agitated, to say the least, if someone did that to me.