Esteemed Contributor

Re: Am I The Only One That Has Virtually No Gifts To Buy For The Holiday Season?

On 11/22/2014 DARING GREATLY said:

I don't buy gifts for Christmas. I'm of the Jewish faith and Hanukkah really isn't about gift giving (in its truest sense). I used to give gifts to friends who celebrated Christmas and was happy to do so, but they would never even give me a card. So i stopped.

If I celebrated Christmas and had a family, I would give one nice gift for each person and ask that we each make something special for each other, be it something in writing or a gift that was hand made.

That's just my take.

I think this is all too common anymore. Giving a thoughtful gift and never hearing from the recipient.

I moved several years ago and still tried to stay in touch with friends. I'd send a holiday dessert or a VPH wreath. When I didn't hear a word, no email, phone call or thanks, I stopped.

Super Contributor

Re: Am I The Only One That Has Virtually No Gifts To Buy For The Holiday Season?

My family loves to open presents so I get a few things for everyone besides money. I am now shopping early, before Thanksgiving. Almost done with my shopping. I like to enjoy the season without undue stress.
Respected Contributor

On 11/22/2014 DARING GREATLY said:

I don't buy gifts for Christmas. I'm of the Jewish faith and Hanukkah really isn't about gift giving (in its truest sense). I used to give gifts to friends who celebrated Christmas and was happy to do so, but they would never even give me a card. So i stopped.

If I celebrated Christmas and had a family, I would give one nice gift for each person and ask that we each make something special for each other, be it something in writing or a gift that was hand made.

That's just my take.

I like your take. In 2013, I spent the entire year crocheting. 11 afghans in each persons favorite color. Nobody had a clue, well...if a couple did, they didn't spill the beans. I still can't believe I got them all done. It was 6 months before I picked up the hook after that. LOL

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey
Respected Contributor

Our family stopped exchanging gifts at Christmas years and years ago. It has made all the difference. We now can truly enjoy our get togethers with good food, spirits and fun. Love it.

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Regular Contributor

This topic makes me sad....it just shows how commercialized Christmas has become over the past few decades. I buy for my son and grandson, the rest of us gave up gift giving a long time ago.

I long for the days when a gift was just that, something someone picked out for you-sure I got my share of bad gifts, but still it was a gift.

Now it's gift cards or cash that are actually asked for and expected..Not much thrill or anticipation in that, is there?

I guess I'm just feeling sentimental, I wish it was Christmas again of long ago......

Esteemed Contributor

Almost everyone is getting gift cards to their favorite restaurant, for all the adults.

Esteemed Contributor

Pood, your post reminds me of "Twas the Night Before Christmas," an episode of The Honeymooners that is like what you describe. It is very touching....I love to watch it, no matter how many times I've seen it. {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Respected Contributor

I buy NO gifts anymore. My siblings and I stopped a few years ago when all we were doing was setting a dollar limit and getting each other gift cards. Their kids (3 of them total) are all older and in their 20s now. When the oldest was 8, rather than buy them birthday or Christmas gifts, I began to put money in the stock market each month - when they each hit 21, I gave them a check for their third of the amount. When the first one hit 21, I took the amount in the account and divided by three and they all got an equal amount when they hit 21. My only pre-requisite was they had to show some sort of progress to a path that would lead to a career (no using drugs or alcohol, etc).

Now the older two nieces have families with small kids and I have a running account for them. Kids get so much from others and I find this easier for me and until I wrote out my first check to my oldest niece, none of them realized I had been doing it and it was greatly appreciated. The funny thing - none of the kids remembered or even knew I had not given them gifts all these years cuz they get so much from others.

Valued Contributor

NEVER, NEVER shop on Black Friday unless DD is home and wants to go. I buy clothes and a couple of toys for granddaughters and give their parents $ for themselves and anything else the girls need. The rest of my gifts will be cash or gift cards.

I am trying hard to finish everything sooner than later because I know the closer we get to Christmas it will become more difficult since this is the first one without DH. I know it will be OK. As a Christian, Christmas means a lot more to me than shopping for material things. My joy will be time spent with my granddaughters as well as singing in the Christmas Cantata and attending church and bible study as we prepare for the birth of the Savior.

Every perfect gift is from above.
Respected Contributor

A ham for friends out of state (already orderd from Honeybaked Ham) and one very small gift for a friend I lunch with (which is already done). So freeing to be rid of the insanity.