Esteemed Contributor

Re: Am I The Only One That Has Virtually No Gifts To Buy For The Holiday Season?

{#emotions_dlg.lol} Nope, I am not in your boat.

Super Contributor

Re: Am I The Only One That Has Virtually No Gifts To Buy For The Holiday Season?

On 11/23/2014 happy housewife said:
On 11/23/2014 Madisson said:
On 11/23/2014 happy housewife said: <h4>I don't live in the same city as the part of our family we used to exchange gifts with - and it seems silly for us to send them money and them to send us gift cards so we agreed to stop exchanging. This leaves me only one close friend and my next door neighbor and DH, and 5 children who I send 20 , $1bills to in a card then make the rest of their gift as a contribution to their savings acct. I love keeping Christmas simple. I send about 40 Christmas cards out - I really enjoy getting cards - they are like small gifts.</h4>

It's really neat that someone actually enjoys getting cards. I like your comment that "They are like small gifts." We have moved around so much in our lifetime and have friends in so many states. I wasn't sure if anyone actually appreciated all the cards that I send out, but with some people, it's the only time we keep in touch.

I have pared down the Christmas card list from around 100 to the current 40.If we do not see or speak to or in any other way keep in touch with someone it seems pointless.And they were getting too expensive to send so many. My father was one of 16 children so I had 51 first cousins - I have removed many of them from the list because we do not have anything in common with them and do not keep in touch at all.

16 children and 51 first cousins...Wow! What a family reunion that would make!

I keep a little book with my Christmas card list in it. Every year I put a check next to the name if I receive a card from them. If I do not receive a card, I take them off my list for the next year. I really need to pare down my list too. Some of the people I have not seen in years and know I will never see again. I hate sending out Christmas newsletters, so the Christmas cards are really a major job.

Some people do drugs. I do shoes....Celine Dion
Respected Contributor

I just buy for my mom and a little something for two or three friends. My mom and I will be out Thanksgiving night shopping. It's become our tradition. Even though we don't have a lot to buy, we like to go out and maybe find a bargain for ourselves.

Respected Contributor

Lots to buy in our family! With two grand kids (2.5 and 11 months by Christmas..)

I also buy my two kids..their spouse/SO..my Mom, and sisters/nephews...Step-Mom and Dad!

This year I am helping an elderly family member out of a financial jam so my charity budget will go to that person...

Our kids have been so fortunate and we like them to remember that (even at 22 and 32) that we always do something charitable.

Respected Contributor

On 11/24/2014 MarthaStewardess said:

I just buy for my mom and a little something for two or three friends. My mom and I will be out Thanksgiving night shopping. It's become our tradition. Even though we don't have a lot to buy, we like to go out and maybe find a bargain for ourselves.

Enjoy shopping with your mom! I remember doing the same with my own mom and miss her every day. The memories you have from these special times together you will never forget.Smile

Super Contributor

I don't have much. Thank goodness. My daughter and son are the only two that I buy a gift for. They each get one big gift and then some smaller things and gift cards. My daughter already picked out a $300 Rebecca Minkoff handbag and two Alex and Ani bracelets. My son picked out an Apple Ipad. My husband and I don't exchange. We give money to my inlaws, two nephews and three nieces, my parents do not need the money, they like lottery tickets. And just a little hostess gift for my SIL who has Christmas Day. I got her the cutest little wine glass ornament. My daughter loved it so much she bought three for each of her friends she exchanges with.

Regular Contributor

Actually I think I only have to buy one giftie for a grab. i only have one brother who lives about 200 miles away and a niece and her two children who live there too.. Never see them since I don't drive any more. Will send a check for someone to buy gifts for the children but otherwise no. It used to be so hard to find something that they would like -- they actually liked everyone to buy only to a list but I never got it in time. Many of my interesting -- at least to me -- gifts were ridiculed by my SIL. For some reason I do however still send a check to my niece for her birthday -- DEC 24.

Honored Contributor

I don't do Black Friday or any of those types of things. Crowds are not my thing. I do love shopping but not under these circumstances. I have nearly all my shopping done. How I managed to do this is beyond me.??? I am never done this early and especially before Thanksgiving! I do a lot of browsing in stores and over time when I saw something I thought would be a good gift for someone, I just picked it up. Before I knew it, I had nearly everything purchased!

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin