Esteemed Contributor

I would return the call in order to explain.  Then I would probably block the number.  Could be that he is actually trying to do his job.

Honored Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

I would return the call in order to explain.  Then I would probably block the number.  Could be that he is actually trying to do his job.

Exactly what I would do.  Call back, explain and then block.

And ironically I had an appraiser come today to look at our truck that got hit.  

Honored Contributor

Took me 6 months to get my cell number removed from a pediatric patients chart at a local doctors office.

Every 4-6 weeks my cell phone rang with a recorded reminder about an upcoming appt. for this certain patient.  I would call the office, tell them they had an incorrect phone number and their reminder was not getting to the person who needed it.   

I don't have grandchildren and have had this cell number since 1998, but it took 5 phone calls to get this annoying problem corrected.   

Respected Contributor

I did call a doctor’s office back who left a voice message regarding someone’s appointment and they thanked me for alerting them as to the wrong number.  But I wouldn’t call Geico back. 

Honored Contributor

@itsmagic wrote:

I did call a doctor’s office back who left a voice message regarding someone’s appointment and they thanked me for alerting them as to the wrong number.  But I wouldn’t call Geico back. 

@itsmagic I have also called back doctor's offices, the same office called me on two different occasions. I also got a call from a pharmacy.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Am I Obligated

[ Edited ]

It was a misdial. If he does not hear from her I´m sure he will call her again, but this time hit the correct numbers.

I would call the direct number for Geico and they will know who the Adjuster is by giving the woman´s name that was left on the voice mail.

Esteemed Contributor

No, I wouldn't call him back, and you are not obligated IMO. If it's not a scam, the guy misdialed the number and hopefully he'll dial the number correctly the next time. Most people do not provide an incorrect phone number to a company that they're doing busness with....and an insurance company as big as Geico surely has 1 or 2 phone numbers on file that should be correct.

Esteemed Contributor

I have when I got a call for the wrong person.  I forget if it was insurance or what but they were being canceled kind of thing if they didn't get back to them.  I called the number to let them know and they were very nice and appreciative.   Just seemed the right thing to do so someone didn't get canceled or whatever because of a misdial.

Respected Contributor

Re: Am I Obligated

[ Edited ]

A little over a month ago I received a call from a lady who said she was calling from Korean Airlines and that my package had arrived from Korea and they were holding it for me.   She left me a number to call her back to arrange a time to pick up.  

The call was left on my voice mail.  As I hadn't ordered anything from Korean and the number she left for me did not match any from the Korean Airline at the Port I deleted the message.  

It might have been perfectly legit and she just misdialed but I wasn't taking any chances.   My thought was that if was just a misdial the airlines would eventually call the person back once a few days went by and they never heard from them.

I've hear about too many scams to take any chances with something that just doesn't concern me.

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 

I've gotten a couple wrong numbers that sounded like important calls,  and I texted them both back saying they'd left a message on a wrong number.   I felt better for having done so, even tho I didn't choose to speak to the callers.