Respected Contributor

No your not obligated but I have let people know when they have called that they have the wrong number. It did no harm.

Honored Contributor

I have a number with the last 2 digits swapped with a local granite place.  I would ignore these calls left on voicemail, til this poor man kept calling and epseemed more and more desperate. Finally , I called his number and told him it was a wrong number.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

No. It could be a scam. 

Esteemed Contributor

Yes I would without hesitation. Caller already has my number and my answering machine has a generic greeting so not my name. I don't have to disclose any info so I don't see an issue. 

Respected Contributor

The OP acknowledges in this line that it suspect.

I have tried the reverse phone lookup, none of them are free and I'm not paying to find out who owns the number.

Based on just that line No is the way to go.

Honored Contributor

If I did anything I would call the direct number for Geico.

Honored Contributor

@KBEANS wrote:

@Jordan2 

I wouldn't call anyone or any company back that isn't for me. You could possibly get into a back and forth with them, and your voice could be recorded and manipulated and used in a scam. The feeling bad tells me you definitely should erase the callback number and message immediately. It's a wrong number, leave it at that and don't call them back. Have a good afternoon. 😃 

@KBEANS    A little paranoia perhaps?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Contributor

In this case, a little paranoia is a good thing.  Some scammers are extremely sophisticated these days.  I was recently conned out of a large sum of money through a convoluted telephone scam with no recourse to recover my loss.  And I thought I’d heard of all the possible cons out there.  To the OP:  I wouldn’t call Geico back.  Geico or the person it’s trying to reach will figure out the mistake sooner or later without your help.  If you do feel it necessary to call Geico back, at the very least I’d block your outgoing phone number.

Honored Contributor

In this day of one scam after another, I would ignore and delete messages that I know aren't for me, or don't concern me. 

I've come to the point with all these unsolicited calls, that I don't have the time or the patience or the desire to figure out who is who, what is real, what is a scam. I ignore them all. 

If it's someone's mistake but legit, they will just have to figure it out.

Super Contributor

Dont call him back !!!!   Its probably a "fishing" call,,,my Mom got one from a woman who claimed to be from Amazon