Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

Q  also has that sound (mostly in foreign words:  like Qatar)

@Desertdi   In English, can't think of an instance where a Q is not followed by a U.

Honored Contributor

I should have given it more thought before I posted.

Thank you to those who, while thinking me a bit dim, were kind not to mention it.

Honored Contributor

@occasionalrain wrote:

I should have given it more thought before I posted.

Thank you to those who, while thinking me a bit dim, were kind not to mention it.

@occasionalrain One suggestion for you:  Don't bring this up to a Chineese person or they will think you are dim!  Woman Wink

Altogether there are over 50,000 characters, though a comprehensive modern dictionary will rarely list over 20,000 in use. An educated Chinese person will know about 8,000 characters, but you will only need about 2-3,000to be able to read a newspaper.

See what I mean?  Woman Embarassed

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

@Desertdi   In English, can't think of an instance where a Q is not followed by a U.

@Shanus    I can.....

Qtip (Q-tip)

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

@Shanus    I can.....

Qtip (Q-tip)

@Mz iMac   Do brand names count?

Honored Contributor

@Shanus  I would think so at least for that word.  It's the only word for a bendable stick w/cotton on both ends. I've never heard it call anything else but the "brand name."

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac   I'm the medical field, it's called a cotton swab, but you're right that Kleenex is the name for all tissues. 😜

Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

@Shanus    In British English, Q is sometimes followed by a W, but I've only seen it in "names"; although Century Link's net server is Qwest.   A name or a "thing"...??

Actually, I don't "have a clue" since even the local newscasters "make up" words....(!)

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

interestingly, it is not really pronounced with a Q, except for perhaps just outside of the middle east. it is actually pronounced with a "GH" sound which is difficult for americans to say because it comes from the back of the closed throat.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Re: Alphabet Question

[ Edited ]

@sunshine45 wrote:

so who knows why we use them together if the sound is the same?

tackle.....pick......tack.......pickle.....packer?

I think that has something to do with the type of vowel sound. Pike = long I sound. Pick = short I sound. Bake = long A sound. Back = short A sound.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr