Honored Contributor

A Great Fall/Halloween Activity for the Week!

A great treat for the upcoming week would be to get a copy of Washington Irving's tale "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" and read it aloud at night.  The language, the humor, and the rich descriptions of the people and place and times just draw you in!

It is short enough to read either in one evening or in smaller "bites" on a few nights.  There are also some great spoken versions available on Amazon, and probably in public libraries for download also.

Anyway, I highly recommend this for these home bound nights when we need a laugh and a story to take us away to olden times, vividly described life and high jinx galore!  

Honored Contributor

Re: A Great Fall/Halloween Activity for the Week!

OH!!! YES!!!!!!!Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

A neighbor has just put up a life-sized plastic horse skeleton complete with the headless horseman riding it...I chuckled when I saw it on our walk....I used to read excerpts from sleepy hollow to my students...used it for all sorts of literary elements.
Respected Contributor

@Sooner, this is a great idea that I am going to pass along to my daughter.

This past weekend, she and my 15 year old grandson took a small flat screen TV outside and set up around the fire pit.  They watched some type of scary movie and made smores.

I love ideas where people are thinking differently and coming up with great activities and ways of doing things that adjusts to the situation for the time being. 

There is a car wash that is doing a haunted car wash .  It is amazing what they have set up.  So while staying perfectly safe inside your car, you ride through with all kinds of scary creatures popping out at you in the car wash.  And you get your car washed at the same time.  Love it! 

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

@pitdakota wrote:

This past weekend, she and my 15 year old grandson took a small flat screen TV outside and set up around the fire pit.  They watched some type of scary movie and made smores.

I love ideas where people are thinking differently and coming up with great activities and ways of doing things that adjusts to the situation for the time being. 

There is a car wash that is doing a haunted car wash .  It is amazing what they have set up.  So while staying perfectly safe inside your car, you ride through with all kinds of scary creatures popping out at you in the car wash.  And you get your car washed at the same time.  Love it! 

@pitdakota That sounds like a perfect thing for a 15 year old!  Maybe before they listen they could do a search for something about the area and the people who lived there at the time to see some pictures that would help them imagine the story!  

Respected Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@pitdakota wrote:

@pitdakota That sounds like a perfect thing for a 15 year old!  Maybe before they listen they could do a search for something about the area and the people who lived there at the time to see some pictures that would help them imagine the story!  

@Sooner, another great idea!  DD loves researching the history of older houses in the area so she would probably have some really good ideas.  Thanks again!!! 

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *