Esteemed Contributor

Re: Alligator Attack

[ Edited ]

@MorningLover

I saw the news article.  Horrific.  

I'm trying to think if I had been warned away, would I have walked my dogs there anyway?  I don't think so.  Seems more and more of these attacks occur.  

I wonder, what, if anything can be done to cut down on the alligator population in Florida.  I saw that they were also overrun with pythons of some type.  Yikes!!

On a similar note, my sis lives in a small lake community in Northern, NJ and regularly has black bears in the area.  One afternoon her daughter called saying, "stay in side, there is a bear walking down the street towards your house."  

Sure enough, there he was up on a neighbor's porch checking the bird feeder.  It is a regular occurence, but they are hardly ever aggressive.  I would not, however, push my luck with one.

As someone mentioned, as we move into their territory, we are at risk for such attacks.

Sad, but true.

Esteemed Contributor

@Witchy Woman, Florida actually has a comprehensive program for controlling gators.  In 2017 almost 6300 were harvested during hunting season and in 2016 over 8000 were harvested as nuisance gators.

That data comes from Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission.  http://myfwc.com/wildlifehabitats/managed/alligator/harvest/

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Trusted Contributor

I've lived on Florida lakes most of my life, and swam and skiied on them frequently when I was younger. Today, I would not do that. I believe that the flourishing alligator population needs to be seriously thinned out.

Respected Contributor

This woman had been clearly warned NOT to go there by HOA 2 days earlier and by her husband. She chose to ignore the warning.

I'm sorry this happened, but it is also an example of natural and logical consequence.