Honored Contributor

There are likes and dislikes for every state. It’s what you’re use to. I’ve lived in TX and OK all my life so I don’t know anything else. Ive never been to Disney World or a beach in Florida  so I’ve never encountered a gator. 

People should heed the warnings. Another sad case for both the deceased and the alligator. 

Honored Contributor

This is horrible!  I feel sad for the woman and her family!

Davie isn't far from where my mother lives in south Florida.  Her retirement community is surrounded by a "man made" body of water that opens into natural waters.  I never go near it and thank goodness she doesn't live on the first floor!

Esteemed Contributor

There should be signs at every body of water to be aware of gators and snakes.  While I feel sorry for any of the families who experience this, gators should be expected to be in a Florida lake.  There is no way that I would be walking along a lake in Florida because of that, and people need to think and use common sense.  Just because no gators have ever been reported does not mean that they are not there.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

First of all, RIP.  That shouldn't happen anywhere.

Secondly, I just don't know why some people just don't pay attention to other people's warnings re: safety in certain spots.

I see it all around here.  Young women walking home alone at night, etc., etc.

(Some) People feel 'brave' now-a-days.  They have an unrealistic sense of security. 

It's better to pay attention to warnings in each of our areas.  Don't be overly adventurous.  Keep safe.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

p.s.  Just yesterday, I was watching one of those nature/wild animal programs.  Could have been Jack Hanna Bush Gardens, or one of those Saturday programs.

They were talking about alligators.  And how they sense vibrations on shore at night.  They are very keenly attracted to any,  even slight, vibrations on land. 

Also, beause of their wild and cunning nature, they haven't changed/evolved since pre-historic times. 

Very interesting episode.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

@goldensrbest - don't know where you are located, but most of the Eastern seaboard has humidity as do other areas of the country. And I believe every state has snakes. I know where I am there are 37 species!

Esteemed Contributor

Actually gators are not aggressive as crocs are. This gator may have seen the dogs as food or nest guarding. With the building of so many news homes in Fla and other places, nature is being displaced. Remember, this was their home first and you are treading on their territory - they have to go someplace.

People need to heed the warnings and pay attention to signs and location.

Honored Contributor

How HORRIBLE and how GRUESOME!!!  I HATE alligators....ever since I saw a Nat Geo show were a small fawn bent down to get a drink and the gator grabbed it wholeI HATE gators!  And so many incidents of children, adults,and animals killed by the alligators too!!!....Woman Frustrated Woman Sad

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is political

Esteemed Contributor

I was thinking that she probably tried to rescue the dog and got attacked herself..