Esteemed Contributor

Re: All Systems .... GO!

[ Edited ]

I have a Kindle and I used it off my son's IPad (or IPhone?)  HotSpot in the hills of Alabama.   

I could use my Android phone most of the time.  It's a Tracfone.  Signal was weak early in the morning when it was foggy!  

I could tether (in settings) to his IPhone and use it anytime.

Esteemed Contributor

@ALRATIBA The cable and modem ARE separate services, but I get them both from Spectrum.  So most of the time they fail separately, but they had a bad run recently when everything went down at the same time which is very unusual.  It just lasted a couple of hours, but happened like twice in one week.  Annoying.  I could have added a landline to this Cable package for little more $, but I was happy with my landline from the phone company, which name I no longer remember. My landline then died when we had Superstorm Sandy, and the old phone company said the old copper wires were obsolete and would have to be replaced.  Since I had been without a landline for months, I got used to it, and decided to forego the landline, so I just have the cell.  No regrets.

Spectrum bought Time Warner Cable but the ads that you are seeing are probably for cell service, which they also offer, but the cell service is completely separate from the cable/modem/landline packages.  I think the Spectrum cell is very affordable, but I am wedded to AT&T because it is what they have in Puerto Rico, where I have family.  

My building also offers a Verizon cable/internet/landline phone service package and I usually get great offers.  But Verizon is the master of surprise fees (i used to have their cell service) and I like Spectrum because I watch a lot its local news channel (NY1), so that is what I choose.  I am satisfied with their services too. I  don't think Verizon offers more channels, but they were supposed to be cheaper.  But they never tell you the fees.  You have to wait until you get the bill.  they did what with the cell too.  Time Warner/Spectrum is straightforward.

My cable/internet charges are fair, but not sure what is going on with all these new streaming channels.  Spectrum people told me recently that my building is in an old Time Warner contract, and everything is frozen in place until that ends, so don't know what kind of charges Spectrum will spring on us once the building renews.  I think streaming services should be incorporated.  I know it can be done with a smart tv or a few extra cables, but wouldn't it be nice if someone integrated everything with one remote.

I forgot to mention, Spectrum has an app so you can watch at least some cable channels on the app while on the road, or if the cable is down.  I have used the app to watch TV on my iphone.

On the kindle, since what you have is just the app (I do too) on the iphone, if you have no wifi, all you have to do is turn on cell service on for the kindle app, via the Settings app, and the kindle will work without wifi.