Honored Contributor

On Sunday morning I had a meltdown in my cable modem - no internet or WiFi, or LANDLINE telephone.  

(My iPhone is on a different provider - so no issue with that!)

I contacted my cable company on Sunday, and today (Wednesday) was the soonest they could get me a tech appt.   

Today:  Guy just left - he was here about 45 minutes fixing everything.

Not having WiFi was a really big issue with me.  I depend on it for my Kindle - dictionaries, translations and wiki when I'm reading.

Respected Contributor

So happy they got you all fixed!

I hate being without internet..........

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA    Makes you realize how dependent you are on all these gadgets, doesn't it? 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA   Last week internet was out for a full week at home, ugh!!  It took that long to get a tech to the house.  

I should ask for a week refund on the internet.  

Glad they got you up and running!

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs 

I hear you!

Here in NYC - based on experience of some friends - the response time varies with different providers.

Quite a few Verizon customers I know complain about their response time and service, and quality of service.

I have RCN - and the main reason I don't switch to something less expensive is that their telephone assistance, on-line help and tech response time is better than most others. 

Esteemed Contributor

@ALRATIBA I am not familiar with how kindle works because I have never used it, but, for future reference, my iphone works as a hot spot for internet service with my ipad and macbook when nothing else is available. Maybe it works with kindle too.  Check your wifi connections on your kindle and see if it shows your iphone.

So I can live without wifi, but losing cable will drive me crazy.  Usually a temporary service outage.

I have Spectrum (nee Time Warner) cable and like it. It has been many years since I have needed a home visit.  Troubleshoot over the phone (though sometimes I need to be pushy, it's like they are programmed to offer home visit, usually next business day appointments), and exchange non-responsive equipment at their stores at my convenience.  (I can do the hook-ups at home myself.)  The store greeter is able to replace remote controls without even knowing your name.  My building has a deal with Spectrum.

Honored Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe 

• Thanks .... if I'm in that predicament again ... I'll try that.  Now that my wi-fi is back up I'm good!

I have the Kindle app on the phone - but the books on the phone are some light reading to keep me amused if I'm stuck somewhere I have to wait.  

The annoyances was (1) not being able to use any of the lookup features on Kindle w/o wi-fi, and (2) my landline was dead. 

• Phone saved my sanity between Sunday and today.  

Honored Contributor

Re: All Systems .... GO!

[ Edited ]

Our previous internet provider was lousy (originally Fairpoint, then taken over by Consolidated).  Because we're rural, they used that as an excuse, even though our state government had paid them mulitple millions to improve access.  They never did and we were stuck with them.

Thankfully, a couple of years ago, our town formed a committee to look into improving access and met with a number of providers.  Thank goodness, Spectrum agreed to run the line to our home at no cost to us (previously, it was going to cost thousands).  They showed up when they said they would and we switched everything to them: phone, TV (canceled DirecTV) and internet.  We've had great service ever since and we pay around $100 a month less overall for a much better package.

Even if we'd ended up paying the same, we'd have been thrilled just to get good internet service.  We went from - no kidding - about 2.5 to 3 mbps to 117 as soon as their service was installed.

Are there sometimes kinks in the system (tv only)?  Yes, but nothing that we can't live with.  And the biggest benefit was someone actually answers the phone, if I have to call them.  Consolidated left you hanging on the line for hours, never called back and the final time hung up on me after I'd been on the phone for two hours!  That was the day enough was enough.  Never looked back.

Respected Contributor

We have Comcast.  Fair.  Lost internet and tv several times in the past month.  Had to go to the library one day because still working at home a few days and needed my internet.  The library is 5 minutes away, vs driving 45 to work.  But everyone claims Verizon is no better here.  Comcast did give me a a couple days credit on my next bill.  

The customer service team was supportive and kind.  One of the days we had no power for 18 hours, weather related, so I was happy for a couple days credit.  They could have said, no one had power or service.  

Honored Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe 

My cable TV and my cable modem apparently two separate lines.   I lost the my landline telelphone, internet connection / wi-fi (I have my own router plugged into their modum) ... but the TV was fine.

A few months ago - my last TV died - got on Amazon and bought another and it arrived a couple of days later.  But - those couple of days were an eternity!   Thank goodness for Amazon Prime Movies and Music!

Here - our buildngs are set up so that there are several cable providers to chose from.  

When I first moved here in 1993, I had Time Warner - and switched to RCN about 15 or so years ago.  RCN was new at the time, offered cable stations that TW ddidn't ... and the price was right so I switched my phone and cable.   

My only issue with RCN is the monthly cost - but I have absolutely no complaints about their service.  The last time I had a tech was when I got the cable modem years ago.  

A few months ago, I got that new TV mentioned above - after I plugged it all in - they were able to sync everything via phone.  And - this past Sunday when I called for service - they were able to remotely determine what the issue was and the guy had everything with him.  

I've seen Spectrum ads - didn't realize that they were the former Time Warner.

------------------------------------------

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

I have Spectrum (nee Time Warner) cable and like it. It has been many years since I have needed a home visit.  Troubleshoot over the phone (though sometimes I need to be pushy, it's like they are programmed to offer home visit, usually next business day appointments), and exchange non-responsive equipment at their stores at my convenience.  (I can do the hook-ups at home myself.)  The store greeter is able to replace remote controls without even knowing your name.  My building has a deal with Spectrum.