Honored Contributor

A good place to save money, but some of items are awful.  Forget the toilet paper, paper towels, detergents, and meat.  Pork chops were mostly bone.  

Only shopped there a few times because I hated finding boxes or buying their bags, packing them to put into the cart.  

The last time, I decided to put a flat box in the bottom of the cart.  The cashier told me I couldn't do that.  So, I asked what's the difference if I put the stuff on the box or on the bottom of the cart.  She yelled at the top of her lungs to the manager in his office in front of many customers that I was violating the rules. He told me I couldn't do that.  I walked out leaving everything on the conveyor belt.  Never returned. 

I figured the difference in overall cost between Bounty paper towels, my favorite, and Aldi's.  I found out because Bounty's are thicker and more absorbent and come serrated in half, I saved money by using Bounty. A half of a Bounty does the job better than Aldis full size towels.  The same with toilet paper.  Same with using Tide.  Cleaner clothes.  

One thing I would recommend is the German made stollen at a really low price they carry around Christmas.  The Vermont Country Store sells the same stollen at 3 times the price.  

Contributor

I love Aldi's and my son works there as well.

I save alot of money shopping there to fill my pantry and a few frozen items as well. The vegetables and fruits are always fresh (at least at the store I shop at) and I just really enjoy it.

I bought a bunch of reuseable bags and I've paid for them many times over by the savings I earn shopping there.

We also have a LIDL in my town and I sometimes go there too because their bakery is FAB!

Respected Contributor

Gosh!  Some of you have awful Aldi stores!

@Foxxee @golding76 

Mine is newer and is immaculate.  The employees are very friendly and helpful.  I have NEVER heard one yell.  I have never read about any scary ingredients either.  What was the product that had them?  Can you be more specific as I would really like to avoid that product.  

My store has an excellent selection of organic produce.  In fact it is the only store in my area to have organic baby potatoes that I love.  The nearest Trader Joe store is at least 3 hours from me.  Wish we had one here.  

“I heard the sound I had to follow”
In Your Wildest Dreams by Justin Hayward
Respected Contributor

You have to try their house brands.  I buy their chicken and beef broth for soups. !/2 price off Giant.  Canned tomatoes 39 cents a can, excellent.  Frozen shrimp is good and wild caught. Eggs are cheap.  Their brand of Triscuits are better thena the original.  Their hams are excellent.  Produce is iffy, Its priced very well, but you have to hit it just right.  The only problem is, you cant rely on something being there week after week.  Oh, and their Peanut Butter taste exactly like Jiff.  You just have to try a few things every week and see if its to your liking.

Honored Contributor

@meem120 wrote:

You have to try their house brands.  I buy their chicken and beef broth for soups. !/2 price off Giant.  Canned tomatoes 39 cents a can, excellent.  Frozen shrimp is good and wild caught. Eggs are cheap.  Their brand of Triscuits are better thena the original.  Their hams are excellent.  Produce is iffy, Its priced very well, but you have to hit it just right.  The only problem is, you cant rely on something being there week after week.  Oh, and their Peanut Butter taste exactly like Jiff.  You just have to try a few things every week and see if its to your liking.

@meem120 

I agree, their canned goods, eggs, peanut butter, and also cereals are good.  

Honored Contributor

LOVE Aldi's! The difference in price is dramatic. Based on my shopping lists and receipts, I'm saving 50-75% shopping there instead of Giant, Weiss, Food Lion and Safeway. Costco is good for some things but Aldi has them beat on eggs and organic milk.LOVE Aldi's detergent at $3 for 64 loads. Made by Dial, it is the ONLY detergent where the scent doesn't gag me or my family; cleans beautifully as well. I've noticed my Super Walmart has begun to creep up in price and is now almost charging what Giant and Safeway do. Last, when the products come from Germany, we can pronounce every word in the ingredient list; love that.

I'm shopping for a large family. I have to watch the cost of items but I am not going to buy junk for my family either. So far, Aldi's is coming out WAY AHEAD of everyone else.

Honored Contributor

@goldensrbestI've used both chains, but not for the same kinds of things -  and I never use either for my major shopping trips.  Also, I don't drive out of my way to get to either of them. I have other good food sources.

Trusted Contributor

You can't compare Nordstrom's to Dollar General.  Each store serves it's purpose.  If you want a full service, high priced grocery store stay out of Aldi's.

Trusted Contributor

@SahmIam wrote:

LOVE Aldi's! The difference in price is dramatic. Based on my shopping lists and receipts, I'm saving 50-75% shopping there instead of Giant, Weiss, Food Lion and Safeway. Costco is good for some things but Aldi has them beat on eggs and organic milk.LOVE Aldi's detergent at $3 for 64 loads. Made by Dial, it is the ONLY detergent where the scent doesn't gag me or my family; cleans beautifully as well. I've noticed my Super Walmart has begun to creep up in price and is now almost charging what Giant and Safeway do. Last, when the products come from Germany, we can pronounce every word in the ingredient list; love that.

I'm shopping for a large family. I have to watch the cost of items but I am not going to buy junk for my family either. So far, Aldi's is coming out WAY AHEAD of everyone else.

@SahmIam  I agree with you on everything.  All I need to do now is try their detergent.  Thanks.

Esteemed Contributor

Since Aldi opened locally I only shop the military  Commissary every other week. 

I only buy eggs & breads at Aldi, cheaper and fresh. love their flavored water. The strawberries and blueberries are cheaper than the Commissary and other stores.

My Son shops there because it’s small and fast, he likes the frozen shrimp. 

I wish a Lidel would come the closest is 17 miles away.