Respected Contributor

I used to always stick my nose up to Aldi and tried to shop there a couple of times in the 90's and then gave up.  Now 2019, the store near us is very clean and organized and has really fresh produce.  Fresher than other places around us at much nicer prices.  I pick up a few other items and Milk.  Pretzel rods, cookies that taste just like girl scout cookies for $1.49!  Almonds, dried cherrys,a great vermont cheddar cheese and jared Artichoke hearts.   Frozen Strawberries.   Its amazing how much you can save and all that I have tried has been wonderful.  I might shop their wine section soon.  I don't have a traders near me so I don't have that option.  

Respected Contributor

I've been a couple times.  Perhaps it's an acquired taste, with so many foreign-to-me labels and brands. 

The most offputting part for me was, of all things, the dang carts!  First, I couldn't get one loose, then saw someone put a quarter in.  Um, perhaps some signage explaining this totally foreign concept?!?!  Then, when I returned the cart I couldn't get my quarter back.  Paid it forward for the next person I guess.  Using a shopping cart shouldn't be so mysterious and I guess if you know how it works then you're good to go.  It just bothered me that there were no instructions and they just expect you to know this stuff. 

Then, the checkout goes lickety-split and you're left to gather your stuff up quickly so that the next person can check out.  Golly gee, I didn't know what was happening!  I think it's best to go your first time with someone whose been before and knows the ropes. 

Honored Contributor

I have several Aldi's near me.  They are clean and have nice employees, but their products are not all that great.

i bought yoghurt and no one liked it.  I bought their raisin bagels and they were so dry that no one would eat them...threw them out too.

Their imported chocolate is good as well as their produce. Their prices are not all that great. I do better or the same at other stores.

We have a family owned store called Karnes Quality Foods.  I get fresh chicken there for 50 cents a pound when it is on sale.  I buy whole NY strip steaks for less than $5 a lb. chicken drumsticks are .29 a lb this week.

i only stop in Aldi's if I am close and just need something quick.

we don't have Trader Joe's and I have never been in one.  We have Sharp Shopper and that store is so inexpensive that they almost give food away.  

I don't see the appeal of Aldi's.

4A334A77-46C1-405A-A7A4-5B83750B41A0.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@Skybelle98 wrote:

I love Aldi's and my son works there as well.

I save alot of money shopping there to fill my pantry and a few frozen items as well. The vegetables and fruits are always fresh (at least at the store I shop at) and I just really enjoy it.

I bought a bunch of reuseable bags and I've paid for them many times over by the savings I earn shopping there.

We also have a LIDL in my town and I sometimes go there too because their bakery is FAB!

@Skybelle98 I just bought five of their reusable shopping bags and just love them!  You can pack a lot of stuff in there, the handles are wide so they don't cut into your hand/wrist and if you want to use those attached pouches you can store the bags into they are so handy.  Love them, great purchase!

Esteemed Contributor

To each their own but Aldis never did much for me either. 

Trusted Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

I have several Aldi's near me.  They are clean and have nice employees, but their products are not all that great.

i bought yoghurt and no one liked it.  I bought their raisin bagels and they were so dry that no one would eat them...threw them out too.

Their imported chocolate is good as well as their produce. Their prices are not all that great. I do better or the same at other stores.

We have a family owned store called Karnes Quality Foods.  I get fresh chicken there for 50 cents a pound when it is on sale.  I buy whole NY strip steaks for less than $5 a lb. chicken drumsticks are .29 a lb this week.

i only stop in Aldi's if I am close and just need something quick.

we don't have Trader Joe's and I have never been in one.  We have Sharp Shopper and that store is so inexpensive that they almost give food away.  

I don't see the appeal of Aldi's.

If I could buy steak for $5./lb and chicken for .50 and .29/lb., Aldi's wouldn't appeal to me either.  Where I live Aldi has the lowest prices.

Honored Contributor

we have Aldi's and Lidl's here in my area. NO trader joe's. people are begging for a TJ's store but so far the town leaders are balking at a TJ store in the area.

Lidl's is SO MUCH BETTER ,than Aldi's. we have beentold in my area Aldi's and Lidl's are owned by same company.

Lidl's has great food products the meat selection is great and delicious. We purchase all our meats at Lidl's.  Lidl's has got some very interesting products. and excellent prices.

Valued Contributor

If you google Lidl and Aldi's they are owned by different companies altough that was the original rumor.  I have both in my area.  In my town produce and dairy is always much fresher at Aldi's.  LIDL produce is hit or miss.  I do try LIDL every couple of weeks and depending on what is there I pick up a few things that are on sale, I lofe their kcups and the cashews on sale but do not depend on other items.  Customer service at mine was terrinbe but seems to have gotten better.  They may have figured it was costing them.  I did complain when I found the posted price on items was not what was being rung up.  They argued with me until I got a manager and brought her to the signs and showed her.  She refunded me not only the difference but the cost of the product which I didn't expect.  The LIDL in my sons area is totally differenct and he buys a large portion of the family goceries there.  Again he lives in a larger city than I do. 

Esteemed Contributor

I like Aldi's. I don't buy a ton there but usually go once a week or so.

Prices are high on some items. Everything is not that low priced.

Cereal is usualy reasonably priced, some dairy, breads are very 

good also.

I did try to take a box there a few years ago and was told no. The

cashier said only certains boxes can be for customers. I usually 

take my own bag instead of getting a big cart.

At ours there is usually only one cashier unless it gets extremely 

busy. Seems like they hate to open a new register.

Respected Contributor

Aldi (no s) has come a long way.

I like Aldi for staples - sour cream, cream, whole wheat bread, organic ground beef etc., which are all cheaper than Trader Joe’s.

Aldi saw a HUGE boost in business when they finally accepted credit cards