Respected Contributor

My grandson was flying home from a baseball tournament with his expensive bats with him.

TSA advised he could not take the bats onboard even though he had a ton of identifying info with him that he was, indeed, playing baseball.

He was forced to leave his bats if he wanted to go home on the plane.

Has anyone gone throught this and recovered their property?  I would appreciate any advice anyone has.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Respected Contributor

Re: Airport TSA & "Contraband"

Once they've been confiscated, they're gone. But how did he get TO the tournament with his bats?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Once I was traveling with a friend who forgot he had a small, treasured pocket knife with him.  He walked over to a man who was doing shoe shines, handed him the knife and said, ‘here is $25. dollars, I’ll be back on this flight a week from today.  If you are here with my knife, I’ll give you another $25.’  

The man and the knife were there.

My Friend thinks of those things and they always work out for him.    He has a Lucky star ⭐️ 

On to your problem:

I would get on the airlines webpage and find the contact for the highest ranking person, and SIT on their phone line.  Also would 

post on their public web and Twitter page, someone reading it is likely to read and give you good suggestions.

Sorry this happened, and good luck.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

@PickyPicky3 wrote:

Once they've been confiscated, they're gone. But how did he get TO the tournament with his bats?

He drove down with a friend.

"Justice will not be served until those who are unaffected are as outraged as those who are." BF
Honored Contributor

@Mersha   He should have placed the bats in his "checked" luggage.  How did the bats get pass TSA going to the tournament?

"Has anyone gone throught this and recovered their property?"

Not me personally but I know someone who has.  TSA gives you paperwork to fill out.  This person requested a receipt & took a video as his items were being confiscated.  This person filled out the paperwork "on the plane" & turned in the paperwork when the plane landed at the TSA office.

The TSA shipped or flew the items from one airport to another.  The person went to the airtport to pick up the items.

Each airport is different the way they handle confiscated property.

This person now packs the previously confiscated items in "checked" luggage.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

@Drythe   Great ideas.

I wonder if they take what is confiscated and get rid of it quickly?  I have no idea what their procedure is.

If I could come up with someone willing to track them down, pack them and send I would be willing to pay them generously.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mersha  How old is your grandson?

Does he still have the receipts for his bats?

Long shot:  If an adult, he can CALL the TSA office of the airport (followed by a certified letter) where his bats are to see if they still have them.

If he or his family knows their Congressman/woman, they can intervene on his behalf.

EDIT:  I hope your grandson still has his flight ticket and/or boarding pass?

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mz iMac wrote:

@Mersha  How old is your grandson?

Does he still have the receipts for his bats?

Long shot:  If an adult, he can CALL the TSA office of the airport (followed by a certified letter) where his bats are to see if they still have them.

If he or his family knows their Congressman/woman, they can intervene on his behalf.

@Mz iMac   My grandson is 17.

Your idea to contact the Congressman is a wonderful idea!! 

He is very helpful and if anyone can get something done, he will.

I will have my grandson send off an email right away. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Mersha wrote:

My grandson was flying home from a baseball tournament with his expensive bats with him.

TSA advised he could not take the bats onboard even though he had a ton of identifying info with him that he was, indeed, playing baseball.

Has anyone gone throught this and recovered their property?  I would appreciate any advice anyone has.

Wasn't he given the option to check them instead of the TSA confiscating them?  

Respected Contributor

@Bri369 wrote:

@Mersha wrote:

Wasn't he given the option to check them instead of the TSA confiscating them?  

@Bri369  This was a last minute flight.  When you are playing these tournaments, you never know when you will be done.  You keep going until your team loses so after he finished the last game, he wanted to come home.

He had to drive to another city for the flight.  When he arrived at the airport, the flight was leaving quickly.

I don't think he had the time to get the bats through security and into the baggage compartment therefore having to take them on the plane.

They gave him an ultimatum...either leave the bats or not get on the plane.