Honored Contributor

@WenGirl42 wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Mellie32

Mellie, if you think the jeans photos on page 4 are appropriate for a teacher to wear .... uh, no.  Slacks that are tailored can be fine IF the outfit is pulled together, but teachers should never wear jeans.   

@Tinkrbl44 Can you see the future? o.O  How do you know what's going to be posted on page 4 when this thread has barely started page 3?

@WenGirl42

Depends on your settings.  I was referencing Post # 63.

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@WenGirl42 wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Mellie32

Mellie, if you think the jeans photos on page 4 are appropriate for a teacher to wear .... uh, no.  Slacks that are tailored can be fine IF the outfit is pulled together, but teachers should never wear jeans.   

@Tinkrbl44 Can you see the future? o.O  How do you know what's going to be posted on page 4 when this thread has barely started page 3?

@WenGirl42

Depends on your settings.  I was referencing Post # 63.

I agree with Mellie which is not something we usually do. That said those photos are fine I work in the corporate world at a high level. I only share that because how that woman is dressed in the top photo is how I dress. Unless I am meeting with clients I wear jeans to work. I commute to Wall Street and I see a lot of women dressed like me. 

Mellie is a teacher kids want to connect with their teachers I wish my teachers back in the day were dressed more approachable. Those outfits are polished and fine. The day of skirts and dresses is outdated when teachers are more hands on these days.

Trusted Contributor

I'm a retired teacher and in my career jeans and sneakers were allowed only on special days.  Toward the end of my career you could wear them on 1 designated Friday each month if you contributed $1 to the scholarship fund.

Times have changed and society in general dresses more casually.  Still I have difficulty when I see some of the outfits teachers wear when I attend events or pick-up my grandchildren at school.

Remember the difference between church clothes, school clothes, work clothes and finally play clothes?

Respected Contributor

If I were a teacher, I'd only wear jeans if it was a Spirit Day or Field Day.  There are so many nicer looking, yet still easy care pants to wear and that are just as comfortable.  I probably wouldn't go with a stiff looking suit either.  Teachers (of the younger grades) do get down on the floor with the students for reading, so I understand the comfort and care aspect.  If I taught middle school or high school, I'd probably dress up even more.  Flip flops are way too casual and our district doesn't allow open toe shoes for safety reasons.  Personally, I would dress nicer than a pair of jeans, but that's just me. 

Valued Contributor

I don't know about a dress code for public school teachers per se, but I do think you can do better than jeans tucked into boots.  That's a great outfit for lunching with friends or going to a football game.    

I think youth live up to or live down to the expectations set for them.  I also think they are particularly impressionable.

Why not up your game and see if you can inspire the kids to up theirs?

The best teacher I ever had wore a tie and a blazer every day.  I wonder if it didn't heighten his authority.  At least I knew he took his job seriously.

Super Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

@Mellie32 wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Mellie32 wrote:

@Katcat1 wrote:

@Mellie32,   Depending on the environment, especially when you are selling services you want to keep a certain image.  However, times have changed over the years.  We now have casual Friday.  When I attended grammar school we could not wear pants.  If it was cold outside, we could wear the pants to school but remove them for school.  Back then boots were actually worn over the shoes.  Remember those boots?  LOL  I actually think high schools need a dress code today.  Girls dress way too casual with jeans, low cut tops not exactly appropriate for school IMO. Cat Tongue

Nothing wrong with jeans - students or teachers.

@Mellie32  I disagree.  I want to be able to tell the kids from the teachers.  Wearing jeans promotes sloppiness.  I've never, ever worn jeans to work. 

Literally anything can look sloppy.  Jeans can also look very put together (see pictures above).

Those pictures didn't look "put together," they looked "thrown together."

It's a profession, not a picnic. When performing public service, I think people should dress as if they cared about what they were doing. Those clothes don't convey that. They may not be jogging suits, but they're not professional attire.

_______

I disagree with you,  totally. I think the young woman in those photos looks well put together and perfectly appropriate,,for a teacher.

She is very well groomed, her clothes look immaculate and stylish, but not faddish. 

Respected Contributor

I work as a secretary for an early intervention program. Our offices are inside a special needs public school. Our agency is business casual here but we are allowed to wear jeans and sneakers and open toe during warm months.

The teachers however, can't wear jeans but the principal allows them to on Fridays for special events or if they donate money to special causes. Because teachers are working with kids who have a tendency to hit, spit, bite, sit on floors for a long time, and many are incontinent---it doesn't pay to make them wear corporate style clothing if they are changing diapers, or having to sit on the floor with a child to get them to stand up, or trying to maneuver them around the building. What I don't like is some of the younger ladies who wear tight yoga pants or leggings with crop tops instead of longer tunics, but it's not my place to make remarks. 

And the woman in the jeans with a blazer and scarf---that is extremely appropriate IMHO for a teacher or a school clerical worker that does casual Fridays. 

Respected Contributor

I knew a principal who would wear bright white sneakers every day -- no matter what she was wearing.  Dressy or casual clothing.  It looked awful.

Honored Contributor

@noodleann wrote:

@Mellie32 wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Mellie32 wrote:

@Katcat1 wrote:

@Mellie32,   Depending on the environment, especially when you are selling services you want to keep a certain image.  However, times have changed over the years.  We now have casual Friday.  When I attended grammar school we could not wear pants.  If it was cold outside, we could wear the pants to school but remove them for school.  Back then boots were actually worn over the shoes.  Remember those boots?  LOL  I actually think high schools need a dress code today.  Girls dress way too casual with jeans, low cut tops not exactly appropriate for school IMO. Cat Tongue

Nothing wrong with jeans - students or teachers.

@Mellie32  I disagree.  I want to be able to tell the kids from the teachers.  Wearing jeans promotes sloppiness.  I've never, ever worn jeans to work. 

Literally anything can look sloppy.  Jeans can also look very put together (see pictures above).

Those pictures didn't look "put together," they looked "thrown together."

It's a profession, not a picnic. When performing public service, I think people should dress as if they cared about what they were doing. Those clothes don't convey that. They may not be jogging suits, but they're not professional attire.

@noodleann

Well stated .....  Any working person who has responsibility (and authority) should dress with some .... dignity.   There's no excuse for looking like it's moving day,  or you're going on a picnic.  

For crying out loud, set an example and show the kids how to dress with some thought given to how the world sees you.  No wonder young adults don't know how to dress ....  they just got out of schools where the teachers didn't know how to dress, either!

If teachers and students all wear jeans to school, the teachers don't really show they have responsible positions, and won't command respect.   They just look like big children.  

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@noodleann

Well stated .....  Any working person who has responsibility (and authority) should dress with some .... dignity.   There's no excuse for looking like it's moving day,  or you're going on a picnic.  

For crying out loud, set an example and show the kids how to dress with some thought given to how the world sees you.  No wonder young adults don't know how to dress ....  they just got out of schools where the teachers didn't know how to dress, either!

If teachers and students all wear jeans to school, the teachers don't really show they have responsible positions, and won't command respect.   They just look like big children.  

LOL!  No one would wear those outfits on "moving day".  They're classy and perfect for a teacher.  I wear jeans all of the time and I demand and get respect everyday.