Honored Contributor

Re: Adopt a Senior

[ Edited ]

I feel bad for seniors this year. There is so much that is tradition (last year of sports for many, prom, senior pranks, senior trips, the last time to really be with many of the kids you have spend an entire lifetime with, graduation, especially for the high achievers that have worked for years to be at the top of their class, be recognized and received their awards, graduation parties.....). And I feel bad for the parents as well, as this can be such a fun time, a sentimental time, and a special time as your child's last events as a child since most will go off to college, or will be headed out to the workforce and their own places soon. 

But in the scope of all the bad things that can happen in life, I know it isn't the end of the world, just a shame that it was all taken away and so quickly. 

My biggest hope is that many of these things, since gone for this year, won't be eliminated or marginalized in the future, when this is over. I

edited to add, 

but they don't need the stuff listed in the OP. ridiculous for sure.

Honored Contributor

while it's disappointing that the HS Seniors miss out on the usual traditions, 

I have mixed feelings that it is up to the community to provide gift bags (notwithstanding the OPs) participation.

Thankfully this isn't happening here.  most kids drive Audis and Mercs to school 

Respected Contributor

Are these grads all orphans?

Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio  I agree with you.  I feel bad for the parents too.  I remember fondly my kids senior year, all the activities that I looked forward for them.  I still remember my prom, senior night etc and that was a long long long time again.  Schools in my areas (Dallas suburbs) are having graduations mostly in football stadiums, limitimg number of tickets so plenty of room to distance.   

Respected Contributor

Yes, I was also very confused by the title.

This year I tried to adopt a famiyl/children for the holidays through the post office, and encountered the same situation--lists of items requested were including thousand-dollar phones and computers, items which I would never even buy for myself!

Not sure if this country is so prosperous that greed for very expensive items dominates all lists these days, but count me out!

I would be happy to send more money to the animal shelters instead.

Honored Contributor

I would not go so far as to say these HS seniors are pampered.

Look back when you (generic) were graduating from HS.  It is a rite of passage and thinking that an 18 year old should just be content without a graduation and all it entails is not cool. 

Even college graduates-I feel for them too.

This pandemic is something  students have no experience dealing with;  I understand the disappointment and I don't think it is fair to say they will not be able to cope in the real world.

This IS the real world right now.

Adults alike are having difficulty accepting things the way they are; the mindsets of an 18 year old and even a 22 year old are far from becoming accepting adults overnight.

I see so many stories of young people doing good things; eventually this pandemic is going to be a very important marker in their lives; if adults can express unhappiness, disappointment, etc.then so can everyone else regardless of age.

And let's keep in mind-graduates are not immune from the heartache of losing somebody they love from COVID-19.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Trusted Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

I would not go so far as to say these HS seniors are pampered.

Look back when you (generic) were graduating from HS.  It is a rite of passage and thinking that an 18 year old should just be content without a graduation and all it entails is not cool. 

Even college graduates-I feel for them too.

This pandemic is something  students have no experience dealing with;  I understand the disappointment and I don't think it is fair to say they will not be able to cope in the real world.

This IS the real world right now.

Adults alike are having difficulty accepting things the way they are; the mindsets of an 18 year old and even a 22 year old are far from becoming accepting adults overnight.

I see so many stories of young people doing good things; eventually this pandemic is going to be a very important marker in their lives; if adults can express unhappiness, disappointment, etc.then so can everyone else regardless of age.

And let's keep in mind-graduates are not immune from the heartache of losing somebody they love from COVID-19.

I think it stinks for them to miss graduation or whatever. I just don't get why that would lead anyone to think they should be asking for gifts from the community. Walking across the stage or not, whoever would normally give them gifts should do so. 

Honored Contributor

I've seen stories in the news about high school and college students forming groups to help elderly residents with their shopping needs.

Now that is something worthy indeed. Using their free time when they are taking a break from their virtual schooling Smiley Wink to take care of others.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I honestly thought that it was adopt an older person or pet too.  I actually think it's a good idea for those who have no one and little income.  What a great program that would be and I would like to know if one exists.

As for high school students I feel bad up to a point.  They will get over it.  I can remember when kids just out of high school were being drafted way back when I was in school.

Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 

Me too. I was set to say, who in the he!! would adopt this old man?

hckynut 🏒

hckynut(john)