Honored Contributor

About that lost cat....

[ Edited ]

Here's another one.  This one is (I had to think hard before I allowed myself to read it) is a Lynx.  I've never seen one wondering down a road, but this person did and remembered to take a picture.  It doesn't look real...(This is in Canada)

Honored Contributor

Re: About that lost cat....

[ Edited ]

I don't think that's real. I've lived where there are lynx for over fifty years, hiked around where they live and I have never seen one ever. Those cats are very elusive and to see one in person anywhere would be a super rare occasion. I highly doubt it would be walking on a road.

ETA - About the only times people ever see them is when the cats are seen injured or trapped.

Esteemed Contributor

We saw Linx up close and personal in Denali.  They didn't look like this guy though, face but not the build.  The ones we saw were smaller and the legs are thinner.  The legs seem awfully big on him but maybe it's just a big Linx.

Honored Contributor

@LindaSal 

Do you think the one you saw might have been a bobcat? 

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee  No, we had professional guides with us.  They were definately Linx.

Honored Contributor

Thre are 4 types of Lynix.  This one is the Canadian Lynx

The is the Eurasian Lynx

This is a Bob Cat.  Like the Lynx, it has tuffs on it's ears, but very slight

Honored Contributor

Bobcats are much smaller than lynx.  People see and photograph bobcats all the time in the foothills on the East side of Albuquerque.  The actually come up and lie on porches, peer in windows.  Not so shy. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Lynx have distinctively longer back legs than bobcats. It's one way to differentiate the two, besides their size which is difficult to judge out in the field.

Honored Contributor

Canadian Lynx always looks like it's wearing snow shoes.  Enormous feet!

Honored Contributor

@songbird wrote:

Canadian Lynx always looks like it's wearing snow shoes.  Enormous feet!

They're 'snow paws'...lol!  Big like snow shoes so they don't sink into deep snow.