Honored Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@Maudelyn wrote:

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@Maudelyn wrote:

He grew up hard and rough.  He didn't have the maturity or support network to shake it.  It takes a lot of intestinal fortitude to rise above the way you were raised- especially for someone so young.  A waste of a life. Very sad to me.

@Maudelyn

Sorry, I disagree.

Lots of people "grew up hard and rough" and are able to "rise above the way you were raised" and didn't turn into murderers with no conscience.

@KingstonsMom It's okay to disagree.  I don't know if I agree that lots of people who grew up hard and rough found a way to to rise above.  I'm sure there are many who do and just as many who don't. Our prisons are full of them. We weren't handed intellect and the love and support of family equally. Unfortunately some get none of the things that make a person stable and successful. 

@Maudelyn

You're preaching to the choir...... 

Background sometimes just does not matter when referring to evil, such as Lyle and Erik Menendez from Beverly Hills.  Did not grow up hard and rough.

How do you know this? Or are you just referring to the wealth of the family?

Rarely does anyone know what goes on in homes after the door is shut and the curtains drawn.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

@Maudelyn wrote:

@tansy wrote:

@golding76 wrote:

Born to Shop,  as I watched the Patriots and their owner/coach bask in glory today at the White House, all I could think of was what twist of fate - perversion of one's nature? -- whatever it was -- had the Patriot family celebrating joyfully on the same day that a former teammate took his own life. 

What took Aaron Hernandez down another, horrific path?  Push me off the boards for being an old fogie, but I think that when a young and impressionable population ingests much violence and not too much spiritual and aesthetic beauty, personalities become estranged, unloving, sociopathic.

I put a lot of what has destroyed the American fabric that held together so many noble generations at the feet of Madalyn Murray O'Hair..  I feel I must hasten to add that I am not a Bible-thumper, but disseminating loving thoughts of compassion and goodness had a salutary effect on most.  Higher-minded thoughts that inspire us to do better, help others and love our fellow man have a definite effect.  Their absence also has an effect.

Also to blame -- BIG TIME! -- are Hollywood and all the art forms that have celebrated cruelty, ugliness, grossness and fostered contempt for one's fellow man.  I know, I know, many are now angry with me, but you've only to look at some of the films from the 1940s or listen to music from previous eras to know that what the folks at that time heard, saw and learned was on a more refined level.  There was a kind refinement and love apparent that is missing now.  This is not to say that there are no longer works of art that are sensitive to the "human condition" and inspire, but they are uncommon, I think.  

Okay, I said my piece.

Wow.  Can you show any statistics that atheists commit more crimes than a religious person?  

No kidding. The molesting priests come to mind. Surely THEY were not God-less. A lot of good it did for those poor kids who were victimized.

I said the same thing and a little more. My post was deleted. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Valued Contributor

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@Maudelyn wrote:

@tansy wrote:

@golding76 wrote:

Born to Shop,  as I watched the Patriots and their owner/coach bask in glory today at the White House, all I could think of was what twist of fate - perversion of one's nature? -- whatever it was -- had the Patriot family celebrating joyfully on the same day that a former teammate took his own life. 

What took Aaron Hernandez down another, horrific path?  Push me off the boards for being an old fogie, but I think that when a young and impressionable population ingests much violence and not too much spiritual and aesthetic beauty, personalities become estranged, unloving, sociopathic.

I put a lot of what has destroyed the American fabric that held together so many noble generations at the feet of Madalyn Murray O'Hair..  I feel I must hasten to add that I am not a Bible-thumper, but disseminating loving thoughts of compassion and goodness had a salutary effect on most.  Higher-minded thoughts that inspire us to do better, help others and love our fellow man have a definite effect.  Their absence also has an effect.

Also to blame -- BIG TIME! -- are Hollywood and all the art forms that have celebrated cruelty, ugliness, grossness and fostered contempt for one's fellow man.  I know, I know, many are now angry with me, but you've only to look at some of the films from the 1940s or listen to music from previous eras to know that what the folks at that time heard, saw and learned was on a more refined level.  There was a kind refinement and love apparent that is missing now.  This is not to say that there are no longer works of art that are sensitive to the "human condition" and inspire, but they are uncommon, I think.  

Okay, I said my piece.

Wow.  Can you show any statistics that atheists commit more crimes than a religious person?  

No kidding. The molesting priests come to mind. Surely THEY were not God-less. A lot of good it did for those poor kids who were victimized.

I said the same thing and a little more. My post was deleted. 

@Irshgrl31201You must have come too close to the truth.  Which hurts for a lot of posters here. 

Honored Contributor

@golding76 wrote:

Okay, I said my piece.

First  up, art -- there are all types of art, some darker than others. But they are all a human expression. I personally enjoy some darker films and plays.

Second -- I'm all for "loving thoughts of compassion and goodness," along with anything that inspires us to reach out to others. Such characteristics are found in many who are religious and many who are not. The absence of such is also found in many who are religious and many who are not.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor

He destroyed many lives...may he not rest in peace....

Valued Contributor

Re: Aaron Hernandez

[ Edited ]

just Jose Baez had figured out a way to keep riding the fame with him on his next appeal...bet hes mad

just read he had a bible verse on his forehead??? John 3:16....also had synthetic weed

Respected Contributor

Cameras will tell the story but also the medical examiners report. They will be able to tell if he was dead before being hung. Belive me I do not feel sorry for this guy who was a 23 year old athlete with a 40 million football contract and the world at his feet. He chose not to do the right thing and many people suffered for it. However, the timing of this is questionable because his acquittal on the double murder charges left the door open to reopen his initial murder conviction. It  seemed in the courtroom that he was very much relieved and was possibly looking to get that convistion overturned. We shall see what happens.

Honored Contributor

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

Abatement:  

I never knew this existed.  

Can a Legal Eagle chime in on this?

---------------- 

(CNN)Aaron Hernandez's murder conviction is expected to be dismissed posthumously because of a legal rule called "abatement."

That would mean, legally speaking, Aaron Hernandez died an innocent man.
Hernandez hanged himself in his prison cell and was found dead early Wednesday morning, the Massachusetts Department of Correction said. Hernandez had been serving a sentence of life in prison without parole after being convicted of the June 2013 murder of Odin Lloyd.

But a court will vacate that conviction because Hernandez's appeal was pending, said Rosanna Cavallaro, a law professor at Suffolk University who has written about abatement.

"The idea is that if an appeal hasn't happened, there's a chance that a conviction has an error in it," she told CNN. "Rather than have someone with that incomplete decision that they're guilty, the state chooses instead to say that conviction is abated -- as if it never had happened."

The conviction's dismissal is "pro forma," or automatic, she said.
Hernandez, who was acquitted last Friday in a separate murder trial, had appealed the Lloyd murder conviction. A date for a hearing had not been set.

The abatement law is "quirky" and "esoteric," Cavallaro said, but not without significant consequences.

Civil lawsuits, in which a harmed party sues for damages, often rely on a criminal conviction as its basis of facts.

"You could piggyback off that criminal conviction to get to the place where you're only litigating damages," Cavallaro said. "Now that's not available anymore."

What difference does it really make? Everyone knows he was guilty. The family can still sue in a civil lawsuit if they choose to and there have been many cases where someone was found not guilty but lost the civil suit because it requires much less. They will easily meet that burden of proof.

I was just wondering if the abatement could release any of his earnings/pension/retirement to his family.  Just throwing the thought out.

Valued Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

Abatement:  

---------------- 

(CNN)Aaron Hernandez's murder conviction is expected to be dismissed posthumously because of a legal rule called "abatement."

Hernandez hanged himself in his prison cell and was found dead early Wednesday morning, the Massachusetts Department of Correction said. Hernandez had been serving a sentence of life in prison without parole after being convicted of the June 2013 murder of Odin Lloyd.

But a court will vacate that conviction because Hernandez's appeal was pending, said Rosanna Cavallaro, a law professor at Suffolk University who has written about abatement.

"The idea is that if an appeal hasn't happened, there's a chance that a conviction has an error in it," she told CNN. "Rather than have someone with that incomplete decision that they're guilty, the state chooses instead to say that conviction is abated -- as if it never had happened."

Hernandez, who was acquitted last Friday in a separate murder trial, had appealed the Lloyd murder conviction. A date for a hearing had not been set.

The abatement law is "quirky" and "esoteric," Cavallaro said, but not without significant consequences.

Civil lawsuits, in which a harmed party sues for damages, often rely on a criminal conviction as its basis of facts.

"You could piggyback off that criminal conviction to get to the place where you're only litigating damages," Cavallaro said. "Now that's not available anymore."

What difference does it really make? Everyone knows he was guilty. The family can still sue in a civil lawsuit if they choose to and there have been many cases where someone was found not guilty but lost the civil suit because it requires much less. They will easily meet that burden of proof.

I was just wondering if the abatement could release any of his earnings/pension/retirement to his family.  Just throwing the thought out.

I can't imagine this man has any assets left.

Respected Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

Abatement:  

---------------- 

As it stands, he died not convicted of murder.  If you die before all your appeals are exhausted, your conviction is voided.  Therefore, technically, the way his contract is worded, the Patriots will supposedly be on the hook to pay out the remainder of his contract to his survivors. 

( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )