Respected Contributor

I guess it's true, you loose what you don't use.

The cashier at the grocery store, a high-school student, complimented me on my signature ... said it was the neatest he'd ever seen. 

Related image

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

I hardly ever "hand write" anything and use the computer for emails, letters and sometimes even sending birthday wishes. I started to write out my holiday cards yesterday and am shocked how difficult and unfortable it is to use a pen. You can barely read my writing on the first few cards. I don't write checks...either debit cards, charge or bills are drafted. When making a purchase, I just have to scribble something at the bottom of the ticket. Shameful!!! I think about my granddaughters. They may NEVER learn to write legibly. What a pity...a lost art. 

Arthritis in my hands makes it impossible for me to hold a pen........and my granddaughters don't even know how to write in cursive.....were never taught in school......they just print...you're correct, it is a lost art!

Honored Contributor

I love to see interesting handwriting.  Mine was never neat looking.  At about 12 or 13 I began mixing some printed letters in with cursive, and have stuck with that ever since.  As a left-hander, I don't expect mine to look that tidy-- so I'll settle for quirky...

Esteemed Contributor

@chickenbutt

The only things I'm grasping at these days are straws.  Smiley Tongue

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Respected Contributor

sometimes my writing is good, sometimes not so.  it does depend on the pen too.

Trusted Contributor

I was never proud of my handwriting and now that I am a senior it seems to get worse by the year!  I know what you mean about addressing Christmas cards!  I just finished mine and didn't like what I saw!!  It is just part of getting older I guess!  Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

Gee, I write all the time.  Lists, and more lists, lol. I keep lists of things in a steno book, always a running list of things we'll need at the store, menu ideas for a week, and things to do.

I also still write checks.  I tried online some years ago and one bill to a department store kept getting messed up, their problem, and I decided to go back to checks and proof of payment from the bank.

Lists!  How much do I love writing lists.  Seriously.  Smiley Happy  

I haven't written checks in some time, though, having changed to paying everything online.  I like that so much better, not because of the lack of writing, but because I don't have to wait to make sure they got my payment and all that.  

@chickenbutt

LIVE BY THE LIST!  Woman LOL  It makes for an organized life.

I used steno books all the time in school and had piles of them, I just kept up the practice.  I'm glad you understand Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

I'm like my Dad, I print.  The only thing I write is my name and it's a good thing that I have my printed name on my checks, you know what I mean!

Dad was a lefty and so am I.  I never saw him write anything except his name.  It's very odd when you look at each written signature, they very much resemble each other. 

Trusted Contributor

shanus, boy, do i know how you feel. when i was in grade school, i would reinvent my penmanship every year until i finally liked what i saw on paper. it paid off because i've received so many compliments on it then, and long after. i can't remember exactly when it started to go downhill, but now it's just terrible. i can still print very well, but my script is horrendous! it's like my hand hardens up when i write, and i realize it's because i hardly write anymore.

Honored Contributor

I have a long signature, long first & last name, I scribble my sigature for that reason--basically you get the first initial of both--but I also do it so no one can "copy"  my signature.

I make my lists on my phone.   There's an App for that!   I never lose my lists.

But writing takes practice & the right tool.

Just because there is no need to handwrite anything doesn't mean we shouldn't do it or pass it on.

@Shanus wrote:

I hardly ever "hand write" anything and use the computer for emails, letters and sometimes even sending birthday wishes. I started to write out my holiday cards yesterday and am shocked how difficult and unfortable it is to use a pen. You can barely read my writing on the first few cards. I don't write checks...either debit cards, charge or bills are drafted. When making a purchase, I just have to scribble something at the bottom of the ticket. Shameful!!! I think about my granddaughters. They may NEVER learn to write legibly. What a pity...a lost art.