Regular Contributor

This past weekend I gave each of my sons $100 to go Christmas shopping. My youngest son bought some items for me and his brother. Then he wanted to go to Toys R Us to get himself something. No problem.

So I take him and he finds a toy he wants. It's a race track and it's supposed to have a car with it. But the place where the car is supposed to be (on the outside of the package) is not there. Looks like it was ripped out and probably stolen.

There was one more set there and it was the same way.

So I take the package anyway and my son was going to just buy a replacement car for it, as he had enough money.

We wait about 25 minutes in line as the place is swamped.

We get to the register and I show the girl at the register and ask for maybe a 10% discount for the missing car.

She said she would ask someone else to make sure but didn't think that would be a problem.

The man she asks YELLS back at her that the toy needs to go in the stack for things that are to be DESTROYED because they are incomplete.

That's right, I was told the toy that my son wanted and didn't care that the car was missing from could not buy it because it was to be DESTROYED for being incomplete.

This makes NO SENSE to me. Why on earth would you do that to a toy that someone is still wanting and is ok with being incomplete? Destruction doesn't even allow it to be donated. I was so upset hearing this and I asked several times because I couldn't believe I actually heard it correctly, but I did!

My son was so sad that I had to get on my phone and find the next nearest Toys R Us store so he could find the toy again. Thankfully we found it and the store was only 10 miles away but the whole situation left me shaking my head.

If this is the Toys R Us policy I don't think I can give them any more business. We don't much now but definitely won't any longer.

Has anyone else ever had a situation like this anywhere?

Honored Contributor

Thats kind of a strange policy but it wouldn't stop me from shopping there.   Hey,  it's their loss,  not yours.   There's probably a reason for it. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I guess I would of handled it a bit different, first I would of called someone and asked for the store manager, they might of had more product in the back and probably would of store searched it for you.

Regarding damaged product, the problem is that people intentionally damage product for that very reason, to get a store discount.  I like the fact that Toy R Us does not have a discount policy for that very reason. 

Just want to share something regarding the larger charities for toys, I thought everything that gets donated during the Season gets out to kids, not necessarily true.  I'm in a large metro area and toys that get collected in those bins go to a warehouse and are stored there.  Only a percentage of those toys get out to the community, I was saddened when I heard that from a person who officially knew. 

Regular Contributor

@Just Bling wrote:

I guess I would of handled it a bit different, first I would of called someone and asked for the store manager, they might of had more product in the back and probably would of store searched it for you. 

Unfortunately the girl told me the man who yelled WAS the manager. I could have persisted I suppose but at that point I was just upset at the policy so we left.

Esteemed Contributor

@Just Bling wrote:

Regarding damaged product, the problem is that people intentionally damage product for that very reason, to get a store discount.  I like the fact that Toy R Us does not have a discount policy for that very reason. 

Just want to share something regarding the larger charities for toys, I thought everything that gets donated during the Season gets out to kids, not necessarily true.  I'm in a large metro area and toys that get collected in those bins go to a warehouse and are stored there.  Only a percentage of those toys get out to the community, I was saddened when I heard that from a person who officially knew. 

@Just Bling, that's so upsetting to hear about the toy charity!   The one I donated to I specifically asked if the items stay local because I'd discovered a lot of what we donate (not necessarily toy drives)  in the No Cal area was being sent to Los Angeles and I won't donate to those charities...we have plenty of need up here.  Ugh.  Hopefully I was told correctly and it is for local families.

Esteemed Contributor

I beleive it was last Christmas....My sil bought a gift for one of her grandchildren...the next day she saw the same item on sale at TRUS...so they took it back and ask for a price adjustment...

No, they tell her....she had to return the item and get one off the shelf and buy it again...fortunately there was one available and they bought it....

What kind of nonsense did that make...I would never buy anything from that store...first off they are way too expensive...but they are rude, too...

Same store...a few years ago...before this incident..I was looking up Tablets...saw one I liked then read the reviews...one after another said the same thing...if you open the box....its not returnable...how ridiculous....

Respected Contributor

I have not had this with a gift but Dollar General throws all their hangers away. What a waste.

Honored Contributor

@VenturaHighway wrote:

I have not had this with a gift but Dollar General throws all their hangers away. What a waste.

Do you mean those thin,  flimsy things that aren't strong enough to hold anything?   I'd throw them away too. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

We have two grandchildren, and will only shop at Toys R Us if it is absolutely necessary.

In a rare event, we needed to return a defective toy.  They acted like we were committing a criminal act.  When you make a return, they REQUIRE that you allow them to copy your driver's license into their system.  So, then they have your driver's license along with your credit card info in their data base.  My husband refused to let them copy it.  He said he would show it to them as identification, and that was it.  It took about 20 minutes, but they finally did it his way.

Ikea does the same thing.  So, I rarely shop at either store.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"