Honored Contributor

025885DD-2466-498A-9C7B-77E209CE0A57.jpeg

Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819 wrote:

Let's put the shoe on the other foot, shall we?

How would you feel if on a holiday, and the bank is closed, you need to withdraw some cash.

You go to the bank and try to use your card to get in to use the ATM, but for whatever reason, it won't unlock the door.

You see another patron inside, and as they come out, they close the door in your face, denying you access to use your bank ATM.

I'm betting that you would be hopping mad and posting how rude that person was to you.

@Anonymous032819 

Exactly!   Magnetic strips on those cards sometimes act up.  It doesn't mean the card holder is a criminal.

Respected Contributor

It has nothing to do concerning politeness or the magnetic strip not working on the door.

The chances are that if the magnetic strip does not work on the door, it will not work on the ATM machine inside.

No matter how many cameras are present, or if an emergency button is available in the ATM area, you should not open the door for someone to enter.

Honored Contributor

The procedure to access the ATM vestibule by using your own card is for your privacy and also your protection.

It doesn't matter if there are cameras visible, every night on the news are vandals/theives stealing and looking right straight at the camera.

There should be signage posted so the intent is clear to not allow anyone in by holding the door open.

Would be the same for a secured apartment/condo or office building where you need to use an access card or a code at the locked door.

The man was ignorant for saying anything to you as he did.

Honored Contributor

You did the right thing.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Honored Contributor

@chiclets wrote:

It has nothing to do concerning politeness or the magnetic strip not working on the door.

The chances are that if the magnetic strip does not work on the door, it will not work on the ATM machine inside.

No matter how many cameras are present, or if an emergency button is available in the ATM area, you should not open the door for someone to enter.

there could be a chance, but most likely not.

i have had issues with the doors but my strip works fine in the ATM. you swipe the strip at the door, you insert the entire card at the ATM.

have had issues with the strip not working elsewhere, but fine in other places.

sometimes it can be how fast you swipe it, it can be dirty, it can be a bit scratched up.

i am always glad if i am using a vestibule that somone is kind enough to hold the door so i can handle my transactions. i will continue to do it for others if needed.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

@sunshine45 

Yes, if you swipe your card correctly at the door you will get in, but if  you do not swipe it correctly you will not get in but it will work at the ATM if you are a honest person.

The issue is that you do not let people in because many dishonest people use the swipe for the door and not getting in as a ploy to access the area. The card that person was using and did not work at the door would not work in the ATM if that was the intention. His intention being to get money from someone using the ATM.

That is why your banker will recommend that you not do so. 

You never know.  And to add to this is the fact that people who swipe, get in, could be dishonest anyway. 

So it is a do you or do you not issue.

Honored Contributor

@chiclets wrote:

@sunshine45 

Yes, if you swipe your card correctly at the door you will get in, but if  you do not swipe it correctly you will not get in but it will work at the ATM if you are a honest person.

The issue is that you do not let people in because many dishonest people use the swipe for the door and not getting in as a ploy to access the area. The card that person was using and did not work at the door would not work in the ATM if that was the intention. His intention being to get money from someone using the ATM.

That is why your banker will recommend that you not do so. 

You never know.  And to add to this is the fact that people who swipe, get in, could be dishonest anyway. 

So it is a do you or do you not issue.

i am not exactly sure who you are talking about or just talking in general terms?

i choose to DO if someone is obviously having issues. i personally would want someone to assist me if that was the case. i have not heard of many or really any "bank robberies" by ATM in our general area. of course, everyone can do as they wish. we dont even have many of these types of ATMs.....most are right out in the open anyways or through a drive thru.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

Maybe I missed it, but no one here seems to have asked a pivotal question .....   @kaydee50  was this man holding a CITIBANK card? 

If so, chances are the magnetic strip was the culprit.   If he was let in and his strip also malfunctioned at the ATM machine, well, that's his problem to deal with.   So many rude people!   

Honored Contributor

It was the door....LOL   He wasn't accessing the money in your account.  It was rude, like going through a door and you see someone is behind you and you push the door extra hard to make sure it slams in that person's face.