Honored Contributor

Bank Of America here in my state has stand alone ATM.s that are usually found in parking lots of shopping centers or strip malls. They have one to two machines in each one that has door(s) that needs your card to get in.

Sometimes my card will not work and I have try a few times, I'm usually cautious but never once thought that if someone could'nt get in that they were going to rob me.

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Respected Contributor

@sunshine45 

I was speaking in general terms.

Some robberies will occur in the foyer of a ATM area.

Some robberies even occur it a ATM drive-up. The car leaving the ATM goes, and the next car pulls up to the ATM, meanwhile another car pulls up behind that car, and the first car stops, the individual at the ATM is now robbed, he is trapped between the cars.

Sounds ridiculous, not common, but it does happen.

Again, I am talking in general terms and that may explain my comments about the subject to you.

You are a person who is considerate and helpful towards others, a good person.  Some people are not good.

Honored Contributor

@chiclets

Not so ridiculous and more common than you think.  

It's up to each of us to use our best judgment in each situation.  I opt on the side of extreme caution.  

I don't want to end up as a crime statistic!

Respected Contributor

Is the swipe lock on the outer bank doors, or inside the bank entryway?

If we assume the man had nefarious intent, it would have been more dangerous for the OP to specifically prevent him from entering the ATM door, which would have either meant the 2 of them were closed into the entryway together, or that she at least had to walk right past him to exit the bank, after preventing his entry.  Seems to me you are much more likely to "end up a crime statistic" that way.  

Honored Contributor

Thank you all for your responses.  Very interesting to me.  Bottom line--if it's a choice between being rude and feeling safe, I know what I would do every time!!

Thanks again for your input.

Esteemed Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

It was the door....LOL   He wasn't accessing the money in your account.  It was rude, like going through a door and you see someone is behind you and you push the door extra hard to make sure it slams in that person's face.  

Agreed!

It's sad that people are so paranoid, that they see every stranger, as a criminal.

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Honored Contributor

@kaydee50 wrote:

Got money today at a Citibank ATM.  You need the debit card to open the door to get to the machines.   While I was getting cash, a man was trying to use his card to get in and could not.  When I left I made sure the door closed behind me so that he could not get in.  

He said  "thanks a lot" but although I kind of felt bad, I will not allow access on my card.

What would you have done??

@kaydee50 

I think you did the right thing.  We had a situation here where thieves put a skimmer in an ATM right on the bank's premises.  And despite this ATM being on the bank premises with security cameras in place, crooks managed to pull this off in my city..So I can see banks taking precautions to make sure only their customers have entrance and access to their ATMS. ...

For those that don't know what a skimmer is — devices that criminals put on ATMs or credit card readers that can read your credit card data when you swipe your card.

Credit card thieves have upped their game with new tools to access your credit card information. Deep-insert skimmers, which are devices buried far inside a payment device, and “shimmers” are among the newest tools being used by card thieves. Shimmers can read data from even the new chip-based debit and credit cards.  

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@kaydee50 wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@kaydee50 wrote:

Got money today at a Citibank ATM.  You need the debit card to open the door to get to the machines.   While I was getting cash, a man was trying to use his card to get in and could not.  When I left I made sure the door closed behind me so that he could not get in.  

He said  "thanks a lot" but although I kind of felt bad, I will not allow access on my card.

I would have kept the door open so he could get in.

Your card was no longer in the ATM, so you would not have any reason to worry about his gaining access to your account.

This happens all the time around here. The bank is closed and you get cash in the vestibule of the bank at the ATM. I have given access on my card to people who have issues with getting the door to open. Not everyone has the same level of dexterity.

WOW! I would never do that.  How about if he/she performed some criminal activity and you could be held accountable??  No way would I have done that!

@kaydee50 

Why would you think you could possibly be "held accountable" for some strangers actions?   What would the charge be?  Politely holding the door?  Is politeness now a crime in your state?

@Tinkrbl44 When did bypassing security measures become about not being polite?  If a thief comes in and installs a skimmer, that has nothing to do with "polite."  You might not go to jail but because of you a lot of harm would have been done. 

Honored Contributor

Went to a lecture about safety. So many of us fear being  thought about as rude that we try so hard to be polite. 

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@kaydee50 wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@kaydee50 wrote:

I would have kept the door open so he could get in.

Your card was no longer in the ATM, so you would not have any reason to worry about his gaining access to your account.

This happens all the time around here. The bank is closed and you get cash in the vestibule of the bank at the ATM. I have given access on my card to people who have issues with getting the door to open. Not everyone has the same level of dexterity.

WOW! I would never do that.  How about if he/she performed some criminal activity and you could be held accountable??  No way would I have done that!

@kaydee50 

Why would you think you could possibly be "held accountable" for some strangers actions?   What would the charge be?  Politely holding the door?  Is politeness now a crime in your state?

@Tinkrbl44 When did bypassing security measures become about not being polite?  If a thief comes in and installs a skimmer, that has nothing to do with "polite."  You might not go to jail but because of you a lot of harm would have been done. 

@Sooner 

You're assuming he was a thief with a skimmer?  Whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty?   

Anyone who is making questionable actions near a bank ATM will have their actions recorded from many angles on many cameras.    Everyone knows that.