Honored Contributor

Re: ANOTHER POSTAGE RATE HIKE

I recently found my old high school report cards that were mailed to our homes. The postage was 5 cents. Made me LOL.

Honored Contributor

@fthunt    I still buy stamps...is the price the same at the USPS website as you would pay at the post office?

Honored Contributor

I have not mailed checks for the most part in the last 35 years, but I do still send some greeting cards. You can set up an auto pay plan with most banks where your bills can be deducted automatically. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Jo1313 wrote:

I pay most of my bills by credit card..Really only 1 check to mail for the most part..

Mail service here is worse than ever..I get mail 3 times a week tops and my mailbox is stuffed. So I know they aren't coming everyday.

@Jo1313 I think that is what I may do - put them all on a credit card.  Getting the reward points on my credit card will be an added perk for doing it this way.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Esteemed Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

I have not mailed checks for the most part in the last 35 years, but I do still send some greeting cards. You can set up an auto pay plan with most banks where your bills can be deducted automatically. 

@Shelbelle See - that is what I don't trust.  I know it is rare, but I have heard of mistakes happening and the company takes out way more than you owe.  Then you could be overdrawn.  I think I would rather pay by credit card than letting the companies have access to my accounts.  I am wondering though if the companies charge a credit card fee for being paid this way.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@fthunt    I still buy stamps...is the price the same at the USPS website as you would pay at the post office?

@Mom2Dogs ,

I just ordered 6 books (I still send cards and have a big family) and there was a handling charge of $2.35 for ordering online.

And thanks so much @Puppy Lips,

For mentioning this!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

Starting on July 14, 2024, first class forever stamps will go from .68 to .73.

That is a big increase.  I do still pay some things by mailing a check.  But I think I am going to try to do more online.  I was willing to support our postal services to a point, but 73 cents is just too much.  The higher they raise the prices, the more people will pay online.  Catch 22 for them.  I am sure the other rates may go up as well.

@Puppy Lips  Thank you for letting us know.  I am a birthday, holiday, and get well card sender and write letters too, and I enjoy beautiful stamps and choosing appropriae stamps.

Respected Contributor

Our post office is a mess and the distrubution center that is new is even worse.  Our local news station has been during special reposrts on it for some time now.  I got to give them credit for staying on it.  So many complaints:  people not getting their tax forms, bills not reaching their destination so bills are over due etc.  I received a bill from the dentist from October 2023 2 weeks ago.  Last I heard, our senator said he will be hearing from the post master general soon, I think in a month.  We will probably be paying all our bills on line soon.  We do a few now.  If it's something important, I mail via USPS or Fed Ex.

Esteemed Contributor

@ScrapHappy  Our mail in VA is the worst in the whole nation. I only mail a few checks, most come directly from my bank account.
  When my son lost a credit card it was one the payments were being deducted from automatically. What a mess ! He had to call them all, etc.

🏦 💵 💳

Honored Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

@Shelbelle See - that is what I don't trust.  I know it is rare, but I have heard of mistakes happening and the company takes out way more than you owe.  Then you could be overdrawn.  I think I would rather pay by credit card than letting the companies have access to my accounts.  I am wondering though if the companies charge a credit card fee for being paid this way.

@Puppy Lips 

Some of mine do.  It just depends on the business.  And when they do charge a fee it's much more than just the cost of a stamp.

And some of the companies I have to pay only will accept payment directly from your bank account.  They also charge a fee for that unless you're set up for automatic withdrawals.