Respected Contributor

We keep getting Bank of America "phisfing" emails. Want us to verify our info because our account had been tampered with. We have no Bank of America account.

Esteemed Contributor

For now I have just removed my credit card information.  Another option is to always be a "guest".  

The other thing I do is keep an email just for shopping and keep it separate from ones for banking, payments or personal use.  I even have a Yahoo account for all the yohoos I never want to hear from but not sure I even know how to log in to it anymore.

Esteemed Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch: Happened to me, too. Amazon resolved the problem quickly, but since that happened about a year ago I have ended my Prime membership and significantly limited my Amazon purchases

Respected Contributor

I never take the little quizzes that are occasionally posted on Facebook because I believe they are fishing expeditions.  Good thing!  I just read this today about a data breach on Facebook:

"Facebook says that it has banned a quiz app called “myPersonality” for such behavior. myPersonality was reportedly responsible for harvesting profile data of around 4 million people. A drop in the ocean compared with Cambridge Analytica’s own quiz app, but still worrying. The app was mostly active prior to 2012, so if you joined the service since then you’re probably safe. Either way, Facebook has promised to inform affected users their data may have been misused."

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Just a reminder to ALWAYS log out of Amazon after you place your order.  A friend used to keep her account open and that's how what happened to you happened to her.  

Honored Contributor

I keep mentioning facebook purity plugin it removes all the junk that litters your facebook so you never see that stuff, 

@this is my nic wrote:

I never take the little quizzes that are occasionally posted on Facebook because I believe they are fishing expeditions.  Good thing!  I just read this today about a data breach on Facebook:

"Facebook says that it has banned a quiz app called “myPersonality” for such behavior. myPersonality was reportedly responsible for harvesting profile data of around 4 million people. A drop in the ocean compared with Cambridge Analytica’s own quiz app, but still worrying. The app was mostly active prior to 2012, so if you joined the service since then you’re probably safe. Either way, Facebook has promised to inform affected users their data may have been misused."

Honored Contributor

@Jaspersmom wrote:

Just a reminder to ALWAYS log out of Amazon after you place your order.  A friend used to keep her account open and that's how what happened to you happened to her.  

Agreed, @Jaspersmom.  Learned my lesson for sure!

Honored Contributor

amazon:

I buy myself a gift card and use that to buy with, after removing my CC#

Honored Contributor

I'm not really worried about it. I won't have to pay if someone uses my card. It's happened to us several times. I'm sure it will happen again. If someone uses your card & you still have your card & have not lost it the place the charges were made are the ones out of the money not the bank & not you.

Respected Contributor

@jackthebear,

Please let us know how to find the FB purity, I missed it!  Is it an app?  Thanks!