Honored Contributor

A zoo is a travesty! 

Esteemed Contributor

I have always dreamed of going on safari, and seeing animals in their natural habitat.

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt

Oh, this sounds very nostalgic and sad Smiley Sad

I wish you could go.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@Newgate wrote:

Just saw a sign in a window of a travel agent advertising African Safari's!  We don't personally know anyone who has ever been on one but have read they can be fun!  My husband and I are both animal lovers!!

Has anyone ever been on one?  Any details would be appreciated!!Woman Wink

@Newgate  My bosses from the job I retired from went on one this past summer. She sent me pictures of lions and such they took. They said it was a lifetime unforgettable. experienced they will always treasure.  They are very much into worldly travels.....not like little homebody me......

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

I have been on safari in So. Africa.  I always go in the spring which in So. Africa starts around October. 

The reason for this is because in the spring time, the "bush country" vegatation is not yet in full bloom.  Easy to spot all the animals.

The "cats" are nocturnal.  Which meant there were nightly Safaries to watch a "hunt."

I did witness & video taped a lion & lioness mate.  This was done in the daylight hours. 

They do "IT" with the lights on? Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Mz iMac wrote:

I have been on safari in So. Africa.  I always go in the spring which in So. Africa starts around October. 

The reason for this is because in the spring time, the "bush country" vegatation is not yet in full bloom.  Easy to spot all the animals.

The "cats" are nocturnal.  Which meant there were nightly Safaries to watch a "hunt."

I did witness & video taped a lion & lioness mate.  This was done in the daylight hours. 

They do "IT" with the lights on? Smiley Happy

As our tracker pointed out, they sleep at night.  No interest. Smiley LOL

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@Newgate If you want more information, you might swing over to the Travel Chat thread in the Among Friends forum. There are several people who post there who have gone on African safaris. @JudyL is one of them, but she is in Ireland right now. Not sure if she will get a chance to respond. She absolutely LOVES Africa.

I too have been on safaris in Kenya, Tanzania, Botswana, Zambia, and Zimbabwe. We all would be happy to help with any specific questions you might have.

Again, you may get more responses on the Travel Chat thread if you post specific questions there. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

TRAVEL CHAT

For those interested.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

My husband and I did a safari in South Africa in 2013.  It was a transformative experience.  We did the Lion Walk with three young lions down to the river.  We stayed out in the Kalahari Desert and slept in brass beds one nite; the salt pan where we stayed has rare animal traffic ...otherwise we stayed in lovely hotels and tents with all amenities. If you love animals, do a safari but be sure you go with a reputable company with nice accommodations.  I suggest Abercrombie and Kent or Tauck but others on the travel chat have used different tour companies and were quite pleased.  I did not smell any animals and I was very close; my hands were on the lion's backs as we walked so that's pretty close! ....I didn't encounter many bugs at all except some pesky bees at one camp that settled in our toilet but the staff put a glass of water out and the bees left the toilet.  It was hot (115) and dry when I was there in Sept so maybe that's why there weren't many bugs and I saw one snake and not in my camp but in the bush.  You want to be sure you do day and nite safaris as the animals differ.  We had an elephant wade in our pool at dinner time and giraffes, zebra and springbok joined us for dinner every night at one hotel.  The sights are breathtaking....the people absolutely lovely and gentle and the food wonderful and unique.  I usually like my share of meat but I couldn't eat it in Africa....

Esteemed Contributor

@World Traveler wrote:

@Newgate If you want more information, you might swing over to the Travel Chat thread in the Among Friends forum. There are several people who post there who have gone on African safaris. @JudyL is one of them, but she is in Ireland right now. Not sure if she will get a chance to respond. She absolutely LOVES Africa.

I too have been on safaris in Kenya, Tanzania, Botswana, Zambia, and Zimbabwe. We all would be happy to help with any specific questions you might have.

Again, you may get more responses on the Travel Chat thread if you post specific questions there. Smiley Happy

Sounds absolutely breathtaking @World Traveler.

*Call Tyrone*