Esteemed Contributor

Re: A red string on your wrist?

@sunala wrote:

@I am still oxox wrote:

I am Jewish and have worn a red string around my wrist for a long time, long before Kabalah became fashionable, in fact my Mom had a red ribbon on my crib and carriage to ward off the "evil eye". The word kunahora (I am sure I have the transliteration in correct) means to ward off the evil eye

@I am still oxox you are 100% correct poo poo poo Woman LOL Spitting (ptooey ptooey ptooey shortened to poo poo poo) and blowing is part of the ritual of the red ribbon. I've carried a piece of red ribbon in my wallet for as far back as I can remember. My mother was a strong believer, and wore a little red ribbon on her bra when she got sick.

As far as Kaballah goes, I really have no interest in its meaning.

OMG, my mother was always very superstitious and your post reminded me of her spitting, chanting, and praying away evil eyes!!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Everyone does realize that Episcopalians, Baptists, Presbyterians et al are cults?

Trusted Contributor

@Lila Belle wrote:

Everyone does realize that Episcopalians, Baptists, Presbyterians et al are cults?

Of course this depends on what you mean by cult. 

The first definition listed for cult on merriam-webster states:

a small religious group that is not part of a larger and more accepted religion and that has beliefs regarded by many people as extreme or dangerous

Honored Contributor

Why are we back to cults?  

This doesn't have anything to do with a cult.

Respected Contributor

I wear one on and off for many many years. And also carry one that I brought from Israel in my glasses case. I always buy them in Jerusalem and give them to the people I care. Some of them are blessed on the tomb of Rachel, our foremother. Many women believe that she is their protector and go there to pray for whatever issues they have. Arab women go there to pray also, they believe that Rachel can cure childlessness.

I notice that in Hindu culture people wear red thread bracelets too.  So you do not have to be Jewish to wear it, everybody want good luck.