Respected Contributor

Pages missing in book ordered from eBay

I started reading The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon (Stephen King) today -  after page 32 the page number jumped to 97.  Later in the book after page 128 the next page was 65.  I bought this book from eBay - it was described as "like new" and it was - pristine condition - looked like it hadn't been read.  

Have any of you ever had this happen?  

The seller was great - I sent him a message and he immediately apologized and sent me a return label - he'll refund the entire purchase price and shipping once he receives the book.  I don't blame him at all.  

I just found this so weird.  I've bought many books - new and used from eBay and Amazon and never had this problem.  

How could this even happen?

Honored Contributor

Re: Pages missing in book ordered from eBay

I hope you get a book with all the pages.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@FranandZoe wrote:

I started reading The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon (Stephen King) today -  after page 32 the page number jumped to 97.  Later in the book after page 128 the next page was 65.  I bought this book from eBay - it was described as "like new" and it was - pristine condition - looked like it hadn't been read.  

Have any of you ever had this happen?  

The seller was great - I sent him a message and he immediately apologized and sent me a return label - he'll refund the entire purchase price and shipping once he receives the book.  I don't blame him at all.  

I just found this so weird.  I've bought many books - new and used from eBay and Amazon and never had this problem.  

How could this even happen?

Yes, it happens.  It sounds like this book was printed in 32-page chunks (known as "signatures" in the printng world.  Signature size can vary, but it's always a multiple of 8.) For whatever reason, one chunk landed in the wrong place, and another was omitted. Printing errorsmlike this happen every once in a while.

BTW, I read the book.  I hope you enjoy it when you get the entire book.

Respected Contributor

Thanks Missy1!

Nomless I had no idea.  Thanks!

Honored Contributor

I had that happen from a book from Amazon. It was an Allrecipes book for holiday cooking. All the best pages were gone. I didn't realized it till later on.