Honored Contributor

Because we are AMERICA gosh darn it and we do-not want to change!   We like our inches feet 🦶 and yards....plus our  degrees.,,no Celsius for us!

Honored Contributor

I'm disappointed that Canada went metric, and many people hated it, but obediently succumbed to all the usual arguments for it, pushed very hard by former P.M. Pierre Trudeau.  As in England, people often informally still use feet and inches, in spite of themselves, despite official metric edicts...

The English or "imperial" system is a fun remnant of a British legacy to the world, and part of a history it would be sad to lose.  I like that the inch was roughly equivalent to a finger joint up to the knuckle (or something like that!), and a foot, equivalent to a man's foot, etc.  Gosh, these measurements are ingrained-- they are in our poetry ("miles", etc.).  "...Kilometers to go before I sleep..." is just wrong.

Am glad that the U.S. retained this part of history.

Esteemed Contributor

@tansy wrote:

My engineer father sure thought the US should adopt that system way back in the 60s.  

@tansy :My father was an engineer also. 
  When we were stationed in Germany in the 60s I wrote to him asking what temperature to set my German oven on! He sent me all the degrees converted and saved my cooking ! 

Trusted Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

Tried it, didn't like it, half way understood it at one time but don't any longer... And actually, instead of asking why we aren't on the metric system, I'd suggest asking why isn't the rest of the world on our system...? 

------- 

OK, Stevie, you made me laugh out loud🤣I'm sure your question was a joke, but sadly, there are people who feel that way, and personify, what's perceived as American arrogance, that can make us, not so popular! 

A couple years ago, a neighbor couple, took a long European vacation. When they were back, I asked about their trip, which, they said they had enjoyed, but, it was so annoying, that sometimes, it was hard, to find people, who spoke good English🧐The husband, said, even in England, some people, had such a strong "foreign accent", you couldn't understand them! Oh Boy!!

Esteemed Contributor

Have lived in places where it is used.  Even had a baby that came out as 3,000 gr exactly.  So I at least knew not to ask for 3,000 gr of sliced deli ham.  Did much better with temperatures.

Respected Contributor

i do not and would not wanna learn !

Respected Contributor

Occasionally I have run into recipes that need to be converted and I avoid them and look for another one as dont want to take the time to convert.Usually a baked item. I know the Homemakers were not happy about converting I .  recall hearing that it was too costly to convert to Metric in the U. S A. in manufacturing. 

I have a scale that weighs both. I think if we had to we would get used to it. I ran a 5K race etc.