Esteemed Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

I can barely convert fractions to decimals.....

That's what Google, Alexa, and Siri are for.  At least in my house.

Respected Contributor

My nephew bought a new (to him) truck about 18 months ago. He kept saying he thought something was a little off with the speedomoter (yes, he should've noticed it when he test drove it, but he didn't). He'd be getting passed like mad on the highway, but the speedomoter would read in the high 90's or low 100's. Took about a month to figure out that the truck had come from Canada, and the speed was reading out in kilometers per hour, rather than miles. 20 minutes with his mechanic and it was switched to miles per hour. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Valued Contributor

I can visualize 3' but I have to think about it to know what a meter looks like.  When I was a kid I learned in elementary school that the freezing point was 0 degrees Celsius and 32 degrees Fahrenheit and that the boiling point was 100 degrees Celsius and I have totally forgotten the conversion to Fahrenheit...makes ya feel dumb not knowing.  Oh well. 

Honored Contributor
I know metric forwards and backwards and know it better than English or Imperial or whatever the heck it is. Now a nurse. Former chemist.
Honored Contributor

I say yea us for not giving in!

I was happy and impressed that all that feeling against it, made that dumb idea go away.Woman Very Happy

Dont you wish we could do that for everything we didn't like?! 

Though this might have been the one time the majority of our country agreed with each other. One for the record books for sure.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

I've learned it about 3 times, but haven't used it. It's like my Spanish... Missed our May 2020 trip to Ireland. I was going to brush up on metric system again, especially for kilometers / miles. My row machine only measures meters, so I know around 1600 meters is a mile. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

@FrostyBabe1 I'm laughing b/c that happened to me.  I bought a Caddy that had just come off Lease in Conn.  In the middle of 4-way intersection cars were zooming around me - my car's reading said I was going like 101 - what?

Took me a while to figure it out.  

Respected Contributor

@germanshepherdlove wrote:

I can visualize 3' but I have to think about it to know what a meter looks like.  When I was a kid I learned in elementary school that the freezing point was 0 degrees Celsius and 32 degrees Fahrenheit and that the boiling point was 100 degrees Celsius and I have totally forgotten the conversion to Fahrenheit...makes ya feel dumb not knowing.  Oh well. 

____

Celsius Poem:

0 Degrees is Freezing

10 is Not

20 Degrees is Pleasing     

30 is Hot!  

This is helpful when it comes to weather (in other countries).

Honored Contributor

Tried it, didn't like it, half way understood it at one time but don't any longer... And actually, instead of asking why we aren't on the metric system, I'd suggest asking why isn't the rest of the world on our system...? 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Re: A quick question

[ Edited ]

With Celsius it's not exactly accurate but a quick way to convert to Fahrenheit is to double it and add 30.