Honored Contributor

I'm a very private person, so this is a bit difficult for me.

I don't know whether anyone has even noticed some problems in my posts, maybe not because I do so much editing.

Beginning a few months ago, I have developed problems with spelling. I often cannot for the life of me remember how to spell all sorts of words. Sometimes it's to the point at which I can't even google it enough to get the right letters.

Lately, I'm even blanking when I find the correct way, meaning that it looks strange to me.

It often takes me double the time to post a comment, and even then, when I come upon it later, I see mistakes. I'm also now prone to leaving out words altogether.

This would shake up anyone, I'm sure, but my life has always been about language. I have a Bachelor of Arts in English Literature and taught adult students grammar and other language skills.

I have a phone appt with my physician next week and will go from there. My suspicion is that there is not much to be done. I'm just hoping that it whatever is causing it can be stopped in its tracks. But I'm not betting on that.

I will still work hard to post, but maybe I can rest a little easier if I know that you all understand when I fail.

Thanks for listening. Heart

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor

@suzyQ3  I have also struggled with my spelling, more so over the last year. Google has been my friend. I cringe sometimes when I see a post with a misspelled word that looked right when I typed it. I hope your Doctor can help. I have decided to be kind to myself and others that do this. 

Valued Contributor
@suzyQ3 Of course we will understand.♥️ I wish you the best and I hope your doctor can help you and it turns out to be nothing serious. Good luck to you and hang in there. 🙏🏻💕
Esteemed Contributor

@suzyQ3  Do you use the built-in spell check? I have a degree in English with a teaching certificate.  I spent the last 10 years of my life proofreading and getting text ready to publish, and I now find myself searching for the correct spelling and usage. I just chalked it up to aging. It makes me review my posts several times before hitting the final post. And then, there are still items I need to correct. That being said, I think your idea of bringing it up to your doctor is a good idea.

Respected Contributor

I'm really sorry to read this, @suzyQ3 , and I commend your candor. This must be so difficult for you. I truly hope that your doctor can help direct your care to shed light on what might be going on.  Many things can affect expression and processing, and some are fixable or resolve themselves.

I can't even remember if you and I have scrapped over anything in the past, but please know I am 100% in the Go SuzyQ3 Go Camp now. Heart

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 I haven't noticed a thing! If you hadn't said something I would not have known.

I'm seeing a lot of my own misspellings these days. But I think it's that my font is very small on my screen. I edit a lot too.

I hope this is just a blip for you. Something that a pill or activity will easily take care of. And even if for some reason it isn't, you can heal. Put it in the hands of doctors and let them do their work. Baby steps. I'll be thinking good thoughts about this.

And fail as much as you need to. I'll still enjoy reading what you have to say and cut you all sorts of extra slack. We all know you're brilliant. Heart

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

@suzyQ3 

It's  always been my pleasure to post with you  ... it would never occur to me to find fault with your spelling.   

I hope your concerns are assuaged after you see your doctor.

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 I'm so sorry, I hope and pray for the best possible outcome for you. You've always been one of my favorite people around here, and it hurts to know that you are dealing with this.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Valued Contributor

I am having the same type of problem to the point that I don't post very often. I don't have the education that you have but have always been good with writing, grammar, and spelling. My work involved editing and correcting the writing of people with much more education than me. 

Now I find that I have to google words for spelling and many times I can't figure out what words mean, and remember what words to use. I am so thankful for google.

I think it is just an aging brain. My husband has some memory problems and I feel like I have to be the brain for both of us.

Respected Contributor

@suzyQ3  I'm so sorry that you are experiencing these issues.   I'm sure with your background in English this is especially upsetting to you.   I wish you all the best at your doctors appointment.  

I get so upset when I see someone make a snarky remark or criticize another poster's spelling or grammar.    We have no idea who is on the other side of that computer screen and what issues they may be facing.

It seems like the anonymity of the Internet brings out the meanness in those who are already predisposed to that terrible trait.